1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Build Advice Soundcard or onboard 7.1?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by AT0MAC, 22 Mar 2014.

1. AT0MAC

AT0MAC Pirate Captain

I currently have a MSI Z77M-45 motherboard in my gaming rig. I would like to expand my current audio system from a pair of high end headphones to a true 7.1 game room setup, because Im soon going to move into a much bigger place.

But my motherboard lacks any digital 7.1 outputs, so I would need a proper soundcard to do the work, something like a Creative Audigy Rx.

The other alternative would be to swap my motherboard for something similar that have a digital out, like a AsRock Z77 Pro4-M.

Price wise they cost almost the same..... What would be the best solution? Is there any benifits of having a true sound card over using onboard digital out? They are both being processed in the receiver am I right...?

:confused:

2. mansueto

mansueto Too broke to mod

If you're planning on using the digital out, I don't think there is any difference between onboard vs soundcard, besides the actual software and what it allows you to customize (equalizer, etc.). I'd wait for someone else to confirm, but that was my understanding. If you were planning on using the analog outputs, then a soundcard can perform better.

The convenience of some soundcards (such as some of the xonar lineup) is they have a built in headphone amp, which can help if you have headphones used. Soundcards can also easily be moved from 1 pc to the next. Maybe check the marketplace for a 2nd hand motherboard or soundcard, save some $$$.

3. sonicgroove

sonicgroove Radical Atheist

If you have a PCI slot on your mobo, grab a xonar dg or dx for cheap either on the marketplace or fleabay. You may be using speakers for the new setup, but that headphone amp is bound to come in handy at some point. On board sound is much better than it used to be, but especially when you are using good equipment, sound cards are better.

4. jrs77

jrs77 Modder

An USB-DAC is allways the best solution imho.

5. JamesRC

JamesRC Minimodder

Spot on - if you're using the digital out, no need to buy a sound card as the receiver handles all processing.

6. Deders

Deders Modder

Do all games get translated properly by the decoders? A friend of mine says how he only tends to notice the surrounds in some games with his digital connection, whereas I notice it in all of mine with my analogue connections.

7. JamesRC

JamesRC Minimodder

That depends on the amp supporting the type of audio. EAX for example won't transfer, but most modern games use receiver - compatible codes like DD.

8. sandys

sandys Multimodder

most on board sound don't do DDL via optical you would need to use analog on board.

9. JamesRC

JamesRC Minimodder

What GPU do you have? If it has an audio out like most ATi cards then you can just use the HDMI out. That'll pass most codecs just fine :)

10. Otis1337

Otis1337 aka - Ripp3r

+1 this

DAC's all the way!

11. Zurechial

Zurechial Elitist

This.
    If the signal is being sent from your software to an external DAC via digital out such as TOSLINK, then the DAC will receive the same data regardless of whether it's the optical out of your motherboard, or that of a discrete card.