1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Raspberry Pi heralds a compact computing revolution

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by brumgrunt, 2 May 2012.

1. brumgrunt

brumgrunt What's a Dremel?

2. Risky

Risky Modder

The OLINUXINO project could be better suited to building a PC colling controller than the rPi which was one of the projects I was thinking about.

3. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

To be honest, neither are really suitable - what you need is a microcontroller, not a microcomputer. The Arduino is a much better (and cheaper) choice for that kind of thing.

4. Risky

Risky Modder

Possibly but I would probably be happier with a higher level language to work in.

5. IvanIvanovich

IvanIvanovich будет глотать вашу душу.

I can care less about these gizmos until one comes along at Rpi price point with at least 4x sata. If someone is smart enough to include disk support, these types of things would be amazing for file servers.

6. Picarro

Picarro What's a Dremel?

I'd happily pay 50£ for an rPi on steroids. I want a dualcore 1.2 ghz, a gig of RAM and then the same support as the current rPi. I want to make sure it can run 1080p without any stuttering. And please, give it more USB bandwidth and a full gigabit internet connection. Would make a perfect file-server/HTPC.

7. fluxtatic

fluxtatic What's a Dremel?

I still want an RPi for a CarPC that will fit into the slot currently occupied by the head unit that I will replace - the Pi's small enough that I can mount a touch screen on a slider in the same spot! The NUC sounds interesting, but m-ITX is only 16.7^2. Yes, 67% larger, but it's still tiny enough - any case would need space for HDDs and possibly a VGA card, and the NUC doesn't have a full-size PCI-e.

My server project has got me on board with mini-ITX - not really feeling the need to go smaller for a desktop, while it would be too expensive to use a NUC for the same sorts of projects that have me wanting a fistful of RPi boards.

8. Shirty

Shirty W*nker! Super Moderator

I enjoyed the Futurama reference Mr Halfacree.

9. wyx087

wyx087 Homeworld 3 is happening!!

i know right!

higher language argument is meaningless. AVRs support C programming with direct access to its pins which is exactly what you need when working with microcontroller. not forgetting it's a lot cheaper with more flexibility.
    eg. hobby board or just buy the chip yourself and put it on a prototype board, or even order a PCB yourself on PCBtrain. :D

10. XXAOSICXX

XXAOSICXX Minimodder

If you can care less then that logical dictates that you DO care about it to some degree. If you can care less why *don't* you care less?

"I couldn't care less" says that you couldn't give any less of a **** about it than you already do.

I've never understood why Americans don't get that...

11. Sloth

Sloth #yolo #swag

At this rate there'll be new options on the market before Allied Electronics get any RPi's in stock in the first place!

Fingers crossed...

12. Chicken76

Chicken76 Minimodder

I must admit I missed it. Where is the Futurama reference you're talking about?

13. Shirty

Shirty W*nker! Super Moderator

Might just have been me though - I love Futurama :geek:

Last edited: 4 May 2012
Tags: Add Tags