1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other Old hardware - purpose? Suggestions wanted!

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by ModSquid, 19 Feb 2016.

1. ModSquid

ModSquid Multimodder

Hey all,

I've been having a clearout and come across some really rather old components, such as dial-up modem PCI cards, ethernet PCI cards, CD drives (not even sure if they're DVD, but I doubt it), several sticks of DDR1 and 2 RAM, old motherboards (some with CPUs), a P4 CPU etc. - you get the idea. I did say it was old gear!

What I was wondering was whether any of this could be repurposed. At all. I realise it's unlikely but I know there are people who might want this stuff as spares or project parts. I don't necessarily want any money other than postage, which in some cases like the CD drives might be prohibitively expensive and therefore not worthwhile, but I just hate throwing away perfectly useable kit. Is there some sort of museum/charity/whatever that would welcome any of it?

Suggestions? Sensible ones preferably.

Cheers all!

2. nimbu

nimbu Multimodder

I'd love to know what ideas you get too.

I have an 18 foot by 30 foot outhouse full of gear dating back to 1995! I cant bring myself to throw stuff away but i need to or the wife is gonna kill me?

3. ModSquid

ModSquid Multimodder

Although it's definitely plagiarism (but on a personal, imitation-being-flattery scale, not a rip-you-off scale), two of the ideas I have seen are a PCB lamp and a PCB A4 file.

Well cool.

4. oasked

oasked Stuck in (better) mud

Advertise it all as free (barring postage) and flog it in the market place! :)

5. ShakeyJake

ShakeyJake My name is actually 'Jack'.

Retro gaming rig!

Sent from my Hudl 2 using Tapatalk

6. sonicgroove

sonicgroove Radical Atheist

Yeah, build a 386dx rig, pimped to look like a modern gaming rig, then play ultima underworld, safe in the knowledge that you are playing a game never surpassed. Damn man....I wanna build a rig now!

7. nimbu

nimbu Multimodder

Lol ultima vii part 1, then we are talking!

Personally I just want rid, I don't have the time to sit there and catalog. Maybe I'll do an open day one day and folks can come fill their boots

8. Behemoth

Behemoth Timelord in training

I'm gradually going through all my gear, I've got some stuff already ear marked for the tip if nobody wants it free of charge. That includes a Apple G4 system complete with 17 inch cinema display too !

Other things include a motherboard with a celeron CPU on it and a very early S775 P4 motherboard.

I've got a Tualtin P3 board and chip which is going to be my retro gaming system with a Voodoo 3 and an SB Live 1024 :D

Anyway just thinking out loud, I suppose you could always see if any local schools would want the stuff to show kids generally what goes inside a PC ? Or stick it up on a local free cycle group and see if you get any interest that way also.

9. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

...and now I feel old.

10. Behemoth

Behemoth Timelord in training

I remember when they were considered high end. Tualatin's were the server spec P3 chip, the Coppermines were the consumer grade P3 chips IIRC.

Really want to get my hands on an Intel 486 DX4 100, 32 megs of RAM and really go retro.

11. javaman

javaman May irritate Eyes

Could turn it into an experimental bed. Set up a server and play around connecting to it and remotely managing it etc.
    I recently repurposed a PC to record TV. Donno if a P4 could handle HD recording but SD recording should be possible.