1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Case Mod - In Progress Project ESPRIMO - April 2012

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by Trenias, 9 Apr 2012.

1. Trenias

Trenias What's a Dremel?

Project Esprimo

I’m sure you can tell from my post count that I’m new :D Hey!! I’ve been looking through the forums for a few years now but I’ve finally got round to giving it a go myself. It’s only a small start but it’s a start!

I bought a Fujitsu Esprimo E5915.

- Intel Pentium D 925 Dual Core 3.0GHz Processor
    - 2GB DDR2 RAM
    - 80GB Hard Drive
    - DVD
    - Windows 7 Home Premium​

Clearly it’s nothing special, but the price was fantastic and it all works! Queue epic (attempt at) photography!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Okay my photography skills are poor and unfortunately the horrible orange background is there to stay.

The initial plan was to give the whole thing a gloss black paint job. But now that's all changed and it has become a project worthy of a log!

As I said I’m new so I’ve had to get a whole load of equipment ordered. I’m also on a very tight budget, the main thing that’s stopped me doing this in the past!

PAINT!

[​IMG]

Brand new ( and first :p ) Dremel! - dusty as I’ve already used it! Going to be essential for finishing the metal body.

[​IMG]

Sorting through a load of crap and found this lying about. My first mod aged 13, fun stuff. But it served as the inspiration for what this case is going to look like. (It was done with some wire wool and a polishing cloth :lol:)

[​IMG]

Opening up the case:

[​IMG]

Breaking it:

[​IMG]

Using 40 grit with a sanding block (and pure muscle?) It's tough stuff honestly and this took a while!

[​IMG]

Paint's starting to give:

[​IMG]

Not all of it though! Looking very rough.

[​IMG]

Having loads of problems with this! Sanding by hand isn't going to be enough. The paint is coming off with time but see the lighter bits in between? They just will not budge! I have an orbital sander but I think it’ll scratch it beyond repair. All of this is experimenting for me, as you will find out I have no idea what's going to work at any stage of this project :cooldude:

If all else fails bring out the dremel? Me --> :dremel:

[​IMG]

Using the high performance abrasive brush. It takes off the light bits caused by sanding (is there a technical name for them?) Veerrrry slooowwly gets rid of the light bits, the gap between white strips on just one edge takes about 5 minutes! :thumb:

Any advice on how to speed this process up a bit?

Despite being careful it's leaving quite a swirly pattern. But i've done some tests and it's still going to turn out awesome! :D

[​IMG]

Looks like it's time to order a couple more brushes!

Last edited: 10 Apr 2012