1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Blogs The incompetent thief

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by brumgrunt, 4 Sep 2012.

1. brumgrunt

brumgrunt What's a Dremel?

2. Fizzban

Fizzban Man of Many Typos

I have a tendency to rush headlong into the thick of it with little regard for the consequences. If I die, I adapt and approach it more carefully. If not I continue to wade in.

I have to curb this urge in mmo's when grouping. Though while I'm soloing I will tend to just get stuck in there with my squishy Mage, taking more abuse than my character should be able to survive. I only kite if I'm going to die, and sometimes not even then. Hold The Line!

3. Sarakon

Sarakon The German

I always end up building those awkward classes and am constantly changing them. Somehow I manage to make it work, but in those situations where you attract hordes of enemies it can get tricky. When first playing a game, for some reason, I just have to try out all the options, instead of sticking to one and then making a separate character.

4. Draksis

Draksis What's a Dremel?

When I got my hands on Thief 2 ages ago, I also had the tendency to launch head long. However that game (more so than others) taught me to sit, wait and watch. Now I spend anywhere up to an hour and a half per level on Deus Ex.

I've gotten to the stage in Thief 3 now, that recently I played a full play through without knocking out any guards, and only using about 2 dozen water arrows for the whole game.

Why you ask? there is something about it that I find extremely relaxing (and I'm not just refering to the siting and waiting part). Like sittting in a park and watching everyone around you. It's a bit zen, I agree, but then again, thats me :)

I always have to play stealth character types. Even If I start a heavy armor, 2 handed battle axe type, I either start to develop my sneak skills, or I get unhappy with the character and scrap it.

5. Tris

Tris What's a Dremel?

Yeah, it's definitely true that certain play styles do carry across between games, often even in totally different game genres.
    In any game with character customisation I always end up with a glass cannon. Highest damage I can possibly get and rely on movement/cover/reflexes instead of things like health/armour/defence.

The result is normally a character that can crush opponents skulls with a single blow, or wipe out legions in a fiery hellstorm. As an added bonus you are always on the verge of dying, which adds to the excitement. :)

6. Griffter

Griffter What's a Dremel?

my god! why oh why do i play like this? at least now i have words to go with the feelings when i do play/complete a stage.

7. runadumb

runadumb What's a Dremel?

Hahah I often do the same. Maximum damage, limited health. I only change it up if the game gets too hard.

My Alpha Protocol playthrough was stealth and maxed out hand to hand. One boss was almost impossible to beat but the game is general was easy as pie like that.

8. Shayper09

Shayper09 Swimming in Deionized.

I usually try and finish any game that involves guns using only sniper rifles and hand guns, the former at any range that enemies are. I now have stupid reactions, and get called a hacker whenever I even think about opening MW2. I don't know why, but this skill won't transfer to any other FPs. I'm terrible at BF3.

9. MjFrosty

MjFrosty Minimodder

lol! Man from my own heart.

Can totally relate, stealth is always the thinking mans choice, even if you're completely rubbish at it. I lost count the amount of times I used the quick load function on Human Revolution. Even if I did what had to be done, sometimes if it was even remotely sloppy I'd think to myself "That was sh*t. Let's go again."

Lame.

I do like to mix it up when it comes to class based MP though. Just because you're good as a light 'stealth' based class in one game, doesn't necessarily mean you'll be great in another. I played Spy constantly in TF2, yet in Tribes Ascend the Brute is my class of choice

10. Pliqu3011

Pliqu3011 all flowers in time bend towards the sun

I always want to play stealth in these kind of games, but after a few minutes it gets so nerve-wrecking for me that I end up to just killing everyone in the room (reasonably stealthily though) - abusing their limited AI capabilities ("two of my pals just died in this exact spot, but I'll stay here nonetheless" etc.) - and only then advance to the next area.

11. Griffter

Griffter What's a Dremel?

im thinking if players who are like me do the stealth route and avoid everything, or try to. (crysis 1 or farcry, cant remember, i ran miles through the jungle to avoid the beach patrols in on area and it did not bother me as much)

that we all play more for the story and want to know the ending like me? or do we all have different views on play style link with story or gameplay?

12. Bauul

Bauul Sir Bongaminge

Nice blog! I totally agree.

I play every single game as if it's a mangament sim or tower defence game. I look for systems, a way to control the level as if I was some onimpotent dungeon keeper. I always try to avoid combat if I can - I'd much rather manipulate the level in such a way that the enemies are killed off indirectly without me having to lift a finger.

If there is AI to hack to my side, that's my first objective. If there are traps to set, I'll set them. If I can clear a level entirely, I will do, regardless of whether I need to. I want to own a level, be it's total and complete master.

In RPGs, I always end up playing a sneaky long-range type, with a side in summoning magical creatures to do the fighting for me. In TF2, I'm an engineer (naturally). In playing games like Bioshock, not a single turrent or droid died - every single one was hacked.

I'm guessing in Dishonored, I'll be the one player who attempts to complete the entire game using nothing but rats as an offensive weapon.

13. Bloody_Pete

Bloody_Pete Technophile

Laser bullets...

14. ashchap

ashchap Minimodder

I couldn't play the charge in/ sprint through a level style of play because I always have to explore every single room and open every single drawer in a level or I feel I might have missed something really important or interesting.

For some reason whenever I go into someone's appartment in Deus Ex I just can't resist picking up their fridge and throwing it out the front door - the concept always seems hillarious to me. Alternatively, swapping the fridge with another appartment is even better, although this takes quite a bit more effort!

15. abezors

abezors Lurking since '08

Stealth all the way :) It is the thinking mans play-style as others have said. I don't sit and wait forever but I love the adrenaline build-up as you are waiting for the right second to move. Plus the feeling of stalking and slitting the throats of oblivious enemies is satisfying indeed (the stealthy dagger executions in Skyrim - mmmm).

Having said that, I spammed the Quick-save/load functions on Skyrim, Fallout and Deus Ex in order to get every section *just* perfectly right. If a planned shot went wide then its back to F9.

Though I went crazy-fast through MW3 since SP was so bad - I just wanted it to be over. No reloading either, just picking up guns every few seconds...

16. tad2008

tad2008 What's a Dremel?

I tend to try and explore as much of a game as possible on the first run through, see the sites and absorb the atmosphere. If it has any reply value then I will take what I have learned to get the character through as fast and efficiently as possible with maximum gain.

17. liratheal

liratheal Sharing is Caring

As many guns as possible.

Fire enough and eventually you'll win, because everything that could oppose you, is riddled with bullets.

18. Eiffie

Eiffie What's a Dremel?

Does hording count as a play style? If so that's me, I play each game like I'm a merchant who got caught up in something too big for him and once I finish "the game" I wanna be able to sell every single bullet I didn't end up shooting or having a massive stockpile of ink ribbons, first-aid sprays and herbs by the end of of a resident evil game, free to do with as I please!

19. hughwi

hughwi Minimodder

I tend to have to explore every single room or area of a level as I grew up with games that didn't let you revisit areas once completed, and if you missed out on some goodies, so be it!

I tend not to have the patience for pure stealth, so tend to do long range.

20. Star*Dagger

Star*Dagger What's a Dremel?

Author, please stay in single player games.

Tags: Add Tags