1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Government proposes internet snooping laws

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by brumgrunt, 2 Apr 2012.

1. brumgrunt

brumgrunt What's a Dremel?

2. Landy_Ed

Landy_Ed Combat Novice

"Communications data includes time, duration and dialling numbers of a phone call, or an email address. It does not include the content of any phone call or email and it is not the intention of Government to make changes to the existing legal basis for the interception of communications". Really? then why is it that one of the tech tests for MI5 is to reconstruct a network packet containing a couple of emails with a password & a zipfile containing data?

Personally I have no issue with the idea that the authorities want to know who I'm talking to, all I see here is that the services don't want to be seen to continue to lie about it. Perhaps Nick Pickles is naive enough to think that power, ability and intent all mean the same thing.

3. west

west What's a Dremel?

"such monitoring is necessary in order to keep the populace safe from the spectre of terrorism"
    As if they would have trouble getting a warrant from a judge for something like that, I don't think so.

The UK will join the US (Patriot Act) in being able to snoop in on it's citizens without a warrant.

LAME.

4. Petrol head

Petrol head What's a Dremel?

There is a good example though of why our government will never work.

The same people that opposed the decision before and now puting it forward. They care not for what keeps us safe or what is right.

Just getting one over the oppostion.

5. Vo0Ds

Vo0Ds Fake potato

Coming soon to a Hacktivist website near you...

6. Ayrto

Ayrto What's a Dremel?

And it's rumoured they're on about making ISPs pay for it , so you could have pay for this attack on civil liberties in the form of higher bills.

7. €gr€s

€gr€s What's a Dremel?

You're kidding, right?

8. Woodspoon

Woodspoon What's a Dremel?

April 1st was yesterday wasn't it?

Otherwise, do not want, do not want so much it's untrue.

9. Cerberus90

Cerberus90 Car Spannerer

Please tell me this is a late April Fools article? :D :D

This crap about protecting us from terrorists is getting old now. I bet they wouldn't scrap the system when the next terrorist attack occurs, they'd just step it up even more, by banning the internet or something and blaming it on piracy. :D

10. gabe777

gabe777 What's a Dremel?

Surely the real crims will just use SSL tunneling ? Doh ! Yet again, the measures only impact on the innocent.

SSL is available for less than £10 a month, and to access their logs DOES need a warrant - and if they ave any sense, they simply delete all logs daily.

Not rocket science, but we are talking about spies - people that lose laptops and don't have even the concept of encryption.

11. Anneon

Anneon What's a Dremel?

Further amendments to this bill are as follows
    A service that allows the authorities to turn on a web cam that may be connected to someone "linked" with anything at all is demeed unsociable.
    Further to this, if information is not satisfactory obtained from this inobrusive method, full access to a suspects camera phone shall be expected to be forthcomming.
    A further warning in the form of a SMS shall be provided to inform the suspect to charge said phone should further information be required and sufficent power is unavailable for the duration of said required period. A non compliance to not charge said phone shall be a criminal offence.

wrong.

12. AcidJiles

AcidJiles Minimodder

This has nothing to do with terrorism. Any terrorist who poses a real risk to uk will know not to use electronic communication and if they do with foreign email servers and draft letters rather than anything sent. This is just a way to monitor public protest and control internal disent.

13. thEcat

thEcat What's a Dremel?

It strikes me that once again the Gov. don't have a clue on such issues.

Want to send an email and avoid the to/from monitoring? Just connect to a foreign email server, standard html access, you don't even need encryption. Of course they'll know you've been to the web address but unless they are recording the data flow, which apparently they are not, they'll have no idea of your email address, who you're talking to or what you're saying.

With such a simple loophole, even considering this legislation is a total waste of time and money.

14. amirkomet

amirkomet What's a Dremel?

Wow.... Okay! I guess its back to pen and paper for the terrorist then…

15. Ploo

Ploo What's a Dremel?

Does this concept make anyone else feel physically ill?

The terrorism excuse is such ********, I wish more people would see through it. Any organisation with the resources and motivation to pull off a terrorist attack will not make use of the internet in such a way that it risks compromise to the operation. So I guess 'terrorism' is just an excuse to take a step towards a totalitarian government.

16. Deders

Deders Modder

Last edited: 2 Apr 2012
  17. Fizzban

Fizzban Man of Many Typos

That's outrageous! How would that level of snooping even be legal? Everyone has a right to privacy. Can't believe they are using the excuse of terrorism..that's such horse sh*t. They just want power over us.

18. fallenphoenix

fallenphoenix What's a Dremel?

I was desperately hoping this was an April 1 related story :( From the US, where our civil liberties seem to continuously be under assault, I wish you the best in stamping out this absurd legislation and ousting whoever is responsible for introducing it.

19. javaman

javaman May irritate Eyes

they've been doing this for years this is just them making it "legal". Guess that gives me the right to read every email sent by the government to see if they're doing their work properly and in my interest. only seems fair.

20. Riffler

Riffler What's a Dremel?

I suspect they leaked this on April 1 deliberately so many would dismiss it as an April Fools. It isn't.

The Tory government will have a list of everyone who visits the Labour Party website. Even if you're not politically active you have to be able to see the sinister potential behind that.

And as the Tory theft of the London Mayoral twitter account has shown, they can't help but abuse these things when the opportunity presents. Not to mention the abuse of previous "anti-terrorist" powers to snoop on dog-walkers and school applicants. The only way to prevent these powers from being abused is to prevent them being granted in the first place.

Tags: Add Tags