1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows SimCity

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by WhiteKnight226, 7 Jan 2013.

1. WhiteKnight226

WhiteKnight226 Minimodder

I was wondering if anyone has heard anything good, or bad, about the new SimCity game coming out in March? I have watched some videos of it and it looks like it can be a lot of fun. It does seems to be somewhat more simple to play, from what I've seen, than previous versions. As in you don't have to build pipeline and such. Everything runs along roads now. But I haven't played since SimCity 2000.

I want to preorder it on Origin and am wondering if ordering the digital deluxe edition was worth paying the extra $20 for? You get foreign city sets but am not sure if you can make a whole city like that or just the featured building or two?

Overall, I would just like to hear what people think about this upcoming game!

2. Showerhead

Showerhead What's a Dremel?

From previews i've seen my only real concerns are that we willbe limited to rather small city sizes, (about medium size plots in SC4) and that since EA are involved we'll probably get 100s of different building packs and the likes of a subway DLC at later dates.

The simulation itself does look rather nifty however and a step up now that each individual sim is now fully simulated.

3. DragunovHUN

DragunovHUN Modder

I can hardly wait to get my hands on it, you'll hear a lot of negativity from the community but it's mostly from people who can't see and accept what the game wants to be.

Well, that or people who don't have reliable internet access.

4. Xthlon

Xthlon What's a Dremel?

I cant wait for it, i have been watching the videos they put up on the SimCity Youtube channel and it looks good, as mentioned above i assume it will be ruined by EA charging for everything to make as many pennies as possible, im still deciding which version to get but im thinking its probably not worth the extra money for different looking architecture

5. WhiteKnight226

I'm very excited about it too, Dragunov. When SimCity 3000 came out I wasn't a fan of it, but this new one I can't wait either.

Has anyone played it in beta or has beta started?

6. Cei

Cei pew pew pew

I've pre-ordered, and can't wait. SimCity Societes was a travesty of a game, but this one looks like it is going back to most of the SimCity basics - but stripping out some of the complexity that made SimCity 4 so hard to 'win' at properly (the cost of running electrics, water, rubbish collection, roads, public transport etc massively outstripped income unless you built in a very standardised, boring fashion).

Always-on DRM is a bit annoying, but I can deal with it - my internet is always-on, so it won't have an impact on my gaming experience. It isn't dial-up days any more!

7. WhiteKnight226

Where did you pre-order and what bonuses are you getting?

8. AbeArceo

AbeArceo What's a Dremel?

I've had the SimCity itch recently too. I even started playing SimCity Social just to get my fix. I haven't preordered it ye, but I'm really looking forward to it.

Just like WhiteKnight226, I'm open to any suggestion on where to pre-order it.

9. lilgoth89

lilgoth89 Captin Calliope

i loved sim city4. it was really hard to build anything fast, but really rewarding when you stopped to realise that your tiny little village in the middle of nowhere was now a massive metrolpolis surrounded by little villages
    3000uk edition was at little to easy tbh, much prefered 4
    que nostalga moment at the original sim city that i used to just spend all my money then destroy my city with floods, plane crashes and bombs ^_^

10. abezors

abezors Lurking since '08

Don't know if you've seen some of the older videos by a developer from SimCity? Think there were about 5 or 6 showcasing the underlying engine features that they've added. Seems really cool and actually some of the things more advanced players would appreciate (things like every unit being a data entry that flows through the city.. Water, power, products etc).

Granted I've not seen any recent trailers or such but from the early look of the game it definitely seems to be worth trying.

11. WhiteKnight226

I was reading some of the forums for the game and a lot of people were complaining about the land plots being too small. They were saying that the land plots in the new game are only about the size of the medium lots in simcity 4.

12. shigllgetcha

shigllgetcha Minimodder

I could never get into simcity 4, i might go back to it and try again but I loved the ones before it.

Im excited about 5, hoping to buy a new laptop this year to run it, I think my current one wouldnt come near running it

Last edited: 9 Jan 2013
  13. TheStockBroker

TheStockBroker Modder

I have no doubt that anything larger would bring our CPUs to their knees though...

14. Cei

Cei pew pew pew

Deluxe edition on Origin :D

15. Jedra

Jedra Supermodel

Sixty Five quid - phew! Even £45 for the basic edition is steep. I will give this a miss I think, which is a shame as I have always liked these games.

16. abezors

abezors Lurking since '08

You can always try before you buy. No matter how good a game looks they can often manage to disappoint :(

17. Cei

Cei pew pew pew

Yeah it's expensive, for which I blame EA. That said, I love SimCity enough to pay it :(

18. Invictus.

Invictus. Minimodder

I'll get it and really want it loved the old ones and the Cities XL didnt quite do it for me.. But £65/45 is steep for a PC game these days when most are around the £25-30 spot new. So will be waiting till the price hopefully goes down a bit / a sale where its included.

19. Jedra

Jedra Supermodel

Problem is that I am not sure it will for a while. With EA controlling distribution with Origin there's not going to be any retail competition. Which is one of the reasons they are able to set the price point so high in the first place.

I am sorely tempted to go for it, but I think this time they have priced it too high and I am determined not to fall for the 'desire' they are building.

20. adam_bagpuss

adam_bagpuss Have you tried turning it off/on ?

looks interesting but will not pay more than £30 for it especially since EA will milk the DLC for it

limited edition is £35 on amazon for anyone not wanting to pay £65 on shitty origin