1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Case Mod - In Progress Watercooled Corsair 600T - My first dive in at the deep end!

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by Appleby, 22 Jan 2012.

1. Appleby

Appleby What's a Dremel?

Hello everybody! After seeing all the fantastic work on here and other various sites, I thought I would start a project log of my very own! I have this log up elsewhere so sorry if you've seen it.

TLDR

This is my first proper computer and my first attempt at overclocking, watercooling and modding so lets rock!

Long Version

Well this is my introduction I guess. About a year ago my laptop died and I decided to build my first gaming PC. It’s evolved pretty quickly and in about November I settled on some hardware that I was pretty happy with:

• Intel i7-2600k
    • Asus P8P67 Pro
    • 8GB Corsair XMS3 RAM
    • KFA2 GTX580 1.5GB
    • Asus Xonar D2X
    • LG BH10LS30 BDRW
    • Crucial C300 64GB
    • WD Caviar Green 1TB
    • Coolermaster Silent Pro Gold 700W
    • Corsair 600T Graphite

I’m pretty happy that this is a pretty solid PC for both gaming and my Uni work. Should see me through until I finish my course or I get bored! I initially started with everything air cooled and life was good.

I then started an awesome job which opened my eyes to what was possible, however I didn’t know anything about watercooling or overclocking so this was jump in at the deep end!

So let’s throw some ideas out there. The 600T has room for a slim 240mm rad in the roof and a 200mm fan in the front which is perfect for a 200mm rad. I really liked the XSPC dual bay res/pump combo and it seemed a great space saver. Last of the main parts I’ll be using are the EK waterblocks in nickel/plexi as in my personal opinion nothing else on the market looks better and the performance isn’t too bad to boot! So now I have a kit list for my cooling.

• EK Supreme HF
    • EK VGA Supreme
    • XSPC X2O 750 dual bay pump resevoir
    • Hardware Labs Black Ice 240 Radiator
    • Phobya Extreme 200mm Radiator
    • 3x Scythe Gentle Typhoon 1850rpm
    • A suitable fan for the phobia rad
    • Aquacomputer Aquareo 5 LT
    • EK Fittings all round
    • Mastakleer Hi-Flex Tubing

And 30 seconds in paint to put my plan in a picture!

[​IMG]

Well the plan is as above. I also have to say that I have started playing around and I found out a couple of things. The fans make noise as they draw air through the grills on the case and thus starts my adventure into case modding.

I marked up the holes I wanted for the fan, I guess starting my dremel experience with circles may not have been the greatest idea but it turned out pretty well for a first attempt!

[​IMG]

Obligatory sparks photo

[​IMG]

One down

[​IMG]

and two down

[​IMG]

I didnt like the points in the middle so I squared those off too.

I then ran into a problem, my last cutting disk. I guess the front grill will have to wait!

[​IMG]

I guess that's all there is so far folks. My plan is just to make this PC as sleek and as powerful as possible so stay tuned!:)

Thanks

I will first point out that I am not sponsered by anyone but I would like to give thanks to two companies who's customer service has impressed me enough to warrent this.

[​IMG]

SpecialTech

Specialtech have given me fantastic customer service. Very quick to respond and very helpful when I've changed my mind! I have purchased all of my Watercooling gear through them because of this!

I would also like to thank KFA2 for going above and beyond customer service.

[​IMG]

KFA2

:thumb:

2. Appleby

Appleby What's a Dremel?

I started off by braiding all the cables on my gentle typhoons. This is quite and easy and relaxing task. Much nicer than when I had a play doing my power supply that’s for sure! I think I’m going to be buying some proper tools for that!

[​IMG]

I also got my hands on some more cutting disks and managed to remove the pesky grill out of the front of the chassis. This grill produces so much noise with the fan behind it I was glad to get rid.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I thought I would include some pictures of some of the hardware I will be using.

[​IMG]

Just some XMS3 RAM bit boring but it will do the job

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Asus Xonar D2X – Fantastic sound quality from this. I was a bit sceptical but the difference between this and on board is pretty huge.

[​IMG]

I wanted to be able to control the fans better than the motherboard would allow and this was recommended on these forums so I got one. I’ve had a bit of a play with it using my spare PC and it’s awesome. So customisable. I intend to have dynamic fan control using the temperature sensors. (pictured below). I love how slow it can get the GT’s down too. I also like the fact it will turn them off completely so I’m going to do some experimenting when its all finished and I’m hoping for near silence while browsing and light work with only any real fan noise while gaming hard.

[​IMG]

Water blocks, fittings and pumps. These are all pretty standard parts. I changed my mind on using the EK VGA Supreme so that went back and I decided on using a full cover block. One lesson learned don’t compromise. It costs more in the long run.

I love how these blocks look with coloured fluid running through them. I guess its going to have to be blue to match the motherboard but we’ll see.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The only thing I’m a little disappointed with is I can clearly see tooling marks on the plexi on the GTX580 block which spoils it. I’m reluctant to send it back as I’ve fitted it now (plus its already taken me one RMA to get this block. I guess I may end up just getting a new top at some point. Shame for the price of a premium product.:(

[​IMG]

3. Appleby

Appleby What's a Dremel?

I also decided to chuck some of the components in the case to get a picture in my mind of how it will all look and where the tubing routes will run. I can’t wait. I still need to get the Dremel back out as the front of the chassis needs some minor surgery in order to mount the 200mm Phobya rad. I could mount it to the fan mount but to me this seems like a compromise and I’ve already learned my lesson on that. It also means I can get my hands on a Coolermaster Megaflow which should move a lot more air than the standard Corsair fans.

Anyhoo that’s all the updates I have for now. I need to find some trim to neaten up the fan holes and I also need some more mounting hardware for my rads and fans but it will come in time. I’m getting Battlefield withdrawal. My housemate has it on the Xbox and it just isn’t the same:p

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I would love some feedback on this. Comments both good and bad will be greatly appreciated! As I say this is my first build so pretty much everything I have learned has been through reading other project logs on here and trail and error!:D

4. equlizer

equlizer What's a Dremel?

How much did your temps go down after cutting out the grills? I want to do it for the front especially.

5. Appleby

Appleby What's a Dremel?

Sorry, I don't really know I'm going from air to water cooling and changing the fans so I can't really give a comparison. My reasoning for the removal of the grills was the noise made by the fans sucking air through. Especially with rads placed and at high RPM they drove me crazy so they had to go!

A little update on the build:

I will be using Mayhems Blue, ordered today!

I was quite busy last weekend!

Firstly I got myself a new toy!
    [​IMG]

I wish I had this when I started cutting! It makes cutting through the chassis a breeze!:eek:

Unfortunately I don't have any work in progress pictures but I had to remove some of the metal from the front of the chassis using a cutting wheel and a grinding disk. Once everything was nice and flat I measured up drilled some mounting holes et voila!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Rad mounted in the front. Nice and secure ready to have the fan mounted on the back pulling cool air through. I have a Bitfenix Spectre Pro on its way to me which looks like one beast of a fan!

I know the bare edge of the chassis looks a bit of a mess so I have some neoprene trim coming to cover it although you dont notice so much with the plastic case on.

[​IMG]

Anyway I managed to get the Gentle Typhoons in the top. I countersunk the fans meaning I could use some lovely hex head machine bolts I bought. They also allowed me to use some silicon anti-vibration washers to futher hush them.

[​IMG]

Right, Thats all for now!:thumb:

6. Furball Zen

Furball Zen Shut up and Mod

Why are you using the top as intake? Youre fighting the natural tendency for heat to rise.

7. Appleby

Appleby What's a Dremel?

Double Post!:duh:

Last edited: 6 Feb 2012
  8. Appleby

Appleby What's a Dremel?

The thinking was that I would rather be pulling the cold air from outside the chassis through the radiator to get a greater thermal transfer. Although now you have mentioned it I may do a comparative test when it is built. Its not the end of the world to flip the fans over!

Anyway, still waiting on parts to arrive. I keep having to check the post box at work! I'm really hoping they come today so I can get cracking this weekend. In the mean time I got a nice little bonus and decided to treat myself so I got a couple of new peripherals!

Logitech G400 - I have an MX518 at work and it suits me to the ground so this is the logical choice!

[​IMG]

This was the real splurge! A Filco Majestouch Ninja! Cherry MX Browns and those glorious key caps! Mine is a UK layout but other than that the same as this. Everyone thinks I'm mad for spending this much on a keyboard! (I may be but oh well:D!)

[​IMG]

Sorry for the stock photos. I can get some of my actual KB\Mouse when they arrive if anyone would like!

Well, I'm not very good at this project log malarkey! I'm just too eager to get on with things to take pictures. So here is some pictures as it stands now. Please ignore the cable plugged into the CPU fan header I will braid it in a bit. I'm just using it to give the motherboard an RPM reading from my aquaero 5 for the moment while I play around.

Unfortunately the fluid looks a lot darker than I had hoped so I may take some out and mix some distilled water to lighten the colour. I'm also still waiting on my fan for the front. The supplied corsair fan moves less air than a mouse fart so there isn't a chance I'm using that!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The lighting in this room is awful! The flash screws up pictures too! I will take some decent ones when I get it fully finished!

I also have a roll of matt black vinyl on order to cover the bluray drive! Why don't they make the casing of these black?

9. peteski

peteski long live the pc

smart mod mate :rock: :rock: :rock:

10. Appleby

Appleby What's a Dremel?

Thanks!

I have a bit of an issue now that it is all built up. giving everything a test run the pump is too noisy! Its by far the loudest part of this PC and I can't decouple the pump from the chassis to the noise resonates through! Very irritating, I had heard some good things about this pump res combo :sigh: which does mean draining the loop and starting again sooooooo . . . .

New (hopefully quiet) pump!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Thinking of whacking this on a shoggy sandwich to really kill any noise. I can control it from the Aquaero which is sweet but if I turn the voltage right down the temps of the fan controller shoot up so I may have to get a heat sink (cough waterblock :lol: ) This will probably mean I need a new mounting for the Aquaero. So a quick bin dive in IT . . .

Blanking box to mount the Aquaero 5 LT internally

[​IMG]

I'm gonna trim it down so it all fits internally but I want to give the Aquaero a nice solid mounting. So I will be introducing it to a dremel very shortly.

Finally I needed a fan for the 200mm radiator. This beastie should move a little bit more air than the supplied corsair! A little more appropriate for the job.

[​IMG]

Another shout out to say thank you to Specialtech! My first fan arrived with 2 broken blades so a quick email to specialtech and I had a replacement at 9:00 the next morning! Great service!

Again, as I have to order some more components to get the pump in place, which means entirely draining the loop. Luckily I'm free this weekend and I have an old housemate coming to stay so I can have an extra pair of hand for lifting and draining.

Also I'm eying up one of these for a little more room for programs and games. I'm just hoping 180GB will fit everything.:D

11. Furball Zen

By flipping those fans, you wont be fighting to get air out of the case. I doubt you will see a rise in temps by moving them :)

12. motorsportcfd

motorsportcfd What's a Dremel?

I'm looking forward to this build! Awesome work so far!

13. Appleby

Appleby What's a Dremel?

cheers guys! Just a sly update! I got some packages today so I can really crack on this weekend!

Today is going to be a good day:clap:

[​IMG]

14. Furball Zen

What pump were you using first? If its noisy, you probably have air in it. I cant hear my MCP355 and its bolted straight to my case.

15. Appleby

Appleby What's a Dremel?

I was using the XSPC but there was nothing I could change about it that would stop the pump noise resonating in the metal drive bays. It drove me a bit crazy. The Laing DDC I picked up cheap from a guy on another forum. I've given it a test and its much more quiet at full whack than the XSPC. I can also control it using the Aquaero which is pretty damn cool! I have a block of Shoggy Sandwich to mount this pump so I'm going for extreme quiet!

I managed to get the loop drained last night which meant I could take the fittings off of the Phobya rad. This meant I could mount the big Bitfenix fan. Luckily my favorite modding/WC shop managed to get me a shipment of fittings pronto which means I now have some extension fittings so I can get the tubing back into the fan again. I'm also going to need to make up a new drive cage as my pump is now going to be sat on the floor of the case. I will get some progress pics up tonight when I get home.

16. Appleby

Appleby What's a Dremel?

Woop woop. Mostly done. Some cable tidying and a little love with the dremel on the drive bay for the ssd and I'll be back in business. I will get some photos that arent in awful light! The fluid is now the same colour as the heatsinks!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

What do you think?

Last edited: 13 Feb 2012
  17. Furball Zen

Nice and clean. But might want to do something with that shoggy....

18. Appleby

Appleby What's a Dremel?

I was thinking its a little out of place in my lovely black and blue theme. Has anyone dyed the orange sponge before? I'm thinking it would be too hard.

19. bdigital

bdigital Is re-building his PC again

Get a backplate on that gpu :)

20. Furball Zen

You mean one like this? :)

[​IMG]