1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Watercooling d5 vario pump noise

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by dirky90, 30 May 2012.

1. dirky90

dirky90 Minimodder

Hi all,

Unfortunately my old d5 vario died on me the other week and i have bought the alphacool single edition to replace it.

the new pump is a lot louder than the old one, it produces a low pitch hum with vibration. i have run the new pump for about 10 hours and there has been no change.

i have tried using the rotor from my old d5 and there is no difference.

any suggestion on what is wrong? should i rma the pump??

cheers.

2. Guest-23315

Guest-23315 Guest

If you think its broken, then yes, RMA it.

Most pumps do produce the low pitched hum, but I've never had the vibrations on DDC's.

Perhaps try mounting the pump on some velcro or the like and see if this makes any difference though, as that cut out nearly all the hum I used to have from my DDC.

3. debs3759

debs3759 Was that a warranty I just broke?

I would RMA it. All my D5 pumps are silent, even at full speed.

4. Big Elf

Big Elf Oh no! Not another f----ing elf!

I've had 4 D5 Varios, 2 Swiftech, 2 Alphacool and all were fitted with the EK Rev 2 Top. One of each was noisier than the other one from the same brand. Mine were only very quiet at setting 3 and under and the noise was more of a whine rather than a hum. I think if you're getting bad vibration though it's possible something isn't right. As you've tried another impeller it could be the bearing that's out of line

5. dirky90

dirky90 Minimodder

cheers for the thoughts guys.

no harm in returning it so thats what i will do.

Rob