1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News EA makes Wii-U turn on games

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Meanmotion, 23 May 2013.

1. Meanmotion

Meanmotion bleh Moderator

2. Phalanx

Phalanx Needs more dragons and stuff.

I wonder how much money Nintendo threw at them.

3. Harlequin

Harlequin Modder

or they ran the numbers and saw how much MS will make from the new policy and need a revenue stream asap

wtb crisis 3 for the Wii U

4. Harlequin

Harlequin Modder

but frostbite works on android but not Wii U....hmmmm

5. Lenderz

Lenderz Minimodder

Android is an OS, not a system, theres no reason Android cannot run on more power hardware than you currently have in your mobile.

They are actually working on making "Frostbite Go" work on Android (and iOS) which isn't the same as full fat Frostbite.

I'm pretty sure that "Frostbite Go" will work on the Wii U hardware, but do you want to play mobile games on your console?

6. Harlequin

Harlequin Modder

many people already do - look at the boom in tablet gaming which EA are trying to get ahead of the curve

7. Phalanx

Phalanx Needs more dragons and stuff.

But I thought they stopped doing online passes and the like? If that was their stream, then I do wonder why they stopped. I still reckon Nintendo have backhanded them some cash.

8. Harlequin

Harlequin Modder

your probably right - BUT ea wanted origin on the platform which I do believe was the major block

9. Doctor Hades

Doctor Hades Dreamer

The lack of support from EA is what contributed to the premature demise of the Dreamcast in 2002 so I can't imagine that the news that the Wii U won't be getting any Frostbite 3.0, FIFA or Madden games will do it any favours with the core gamers that machine is supposedly aimed at.

Unfortunately, for Nintendo, because they're not technology focused like Microsoft and Sony, the Wii U is going to be left in the dust once the new consoles come out and developers turn to making games on those instead of less powerful systems. The Wii U will be left in the same position as the Wii is now with diminishing third-party support and a pitiful number of exclusive releases from Nintendo (who always seem to drag their heels when it comes to releasing their own titles).

I bought my Wii in 2006 but it remained unused for most of those six years due to a lack of interesting games beyond the usual Super Mario, Mario Kart and Zelda games. I somehow doubt that I will ever buy the Wii U; I don't especially like the controller and the games so far have been very, very underwhelming.

10. GoodBytes

GoodBytes How many wifi's does it have?

I agree that my Wii also collected dust.. however.
    When a Nintendo game came out, they were super fun, Half Life / StarCraft 2 fun.
    I just use my PC.. a gaming PC... for the rest of the games. Even if it was available on the Wii, lets say... and even if the performance of the Wii was a bit over the PS3, I would still buy the PC version, as the PC have the best visuals, and the game is 10$ cheaper (no to mention sales on Steam).

So in any case, it would collect dust.

While now I am debating between a PS4 and a WiiU, I am not excluding the WiiU even if it has little third party support. Also, the WiiU looks like it will be THE indie game console. Nintendo is being quiet aggressive in this.
    -> WiiU dev kit and SDK together is only 2500$ (this is bargain price compared to the other console and previous generation consoles, including the Wii)
    -> No fees for any update, and no restrictions on updates.
    -> Access to Nintendo servers for distribution of game and updates for free
    -> No official office needed. Just a room with a lock door, and the building/house with an alarm system. OR a safe.
    -> Registered company name (of course, for the paper work), and some game experience (of course, to show that you are indeed a dev, and that you will most likely make a game on the console).

That is crazy. Especially for Nintendo, who used to have the most restrictions and complications to get their dev console.

11. Griffter

Griffter What's a Dremel?

haha love the title!

Tags: Add Tags