1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Arma 2 goes free to play

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 10 Jun 2011.

1. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

2. TheLegendJoe

TheLegendJoe Syntax error

The tanks on the free version did look like they we're very low res textures, but if it gets more people playing the full game- Awesome ;)

3. StoneyMahoney

StoneyMahoney What's a Dremel?

That's pretty generous for what is effectively a demo. Like it :)

4. do_it_anyway

do_it_anyway Minimodder

Is this a "proper" free game, or one of those "battlefield play4free that will cost you £300 if you buy all the extras" type of free game?

Also when you say it lacks HD, surely you don't mean that we can only play at low res like 600x400?
    I like the idea though, might give it a whirl.

5. bowman

bowman Minimodder

I might just start playing this. There's lots of serious clan type communities. Could be interesting.

6. mi1ez

mi1ez Modder

Sounds like just enough has been cut out to make it still playable, yet still entice people to pay. Good work!

7. tozsam

tozsam What's a Dremel?

surely the full game can't be that much to buy now?!

8. Phil Rhodes

Phil Rhodes Hypernobber

I bought the full game.

It is very nearly unplayable.

9. Jack_Pepsi

Jack_Pepsi Clan BeeR Founder

ArmA 2 and Operation Arrowhead have come on massively and beta patches are being released almost daily.

I freakin' love ArmA 2: CO - I'm pre-ordering ArmA 3 as soon as it's available.

10. Fizzban

Fizzban Man of Many Typos

Machine crushing or just bastard hard?

--

That is pretty generous of them. :clap:

11. Telltale Boy

Telltale Boy Designated CPC Jetwhore

I'm looking forward to this as although Arma II has piqued my interest I havn't bought it yet as I've never really played a milsim before and don't really want to throw myself in at the deep end.

12. Arkanrais

Arkanrais What's a Dremel?

I was planning to play Arma 2 online with a friend, but that all went to **** after playing the training missions.
    some of the layout is just stupid, like switching weapons. I had to go through menus to be able to switch to a rocket launcher only to find out it wasn't the right kind of rocket launcher, so I then walked to an ammo crate and tried to switch it over for the right rocket launcher (as if a wood tank can tell the difference). after trying multiple times, the game refused to simply switch the rocket launchers and I had to go menu diving to a different weapon to be able to switch launchers again. it's things like that which ruin what could have been a fun game.
    there was also a training mission about flying and landing a helicopter to pick up troops. without telling the controls, the game expected me to flu a couple KM and land perfectly. it wouldnt be so hard if the damn thing would stop moving every time I move my mouse a single mm in the wrong direction and if I had a way of seeing what's below me. I failed that one multiple times from coming in too hard to the ground.
    I wish I could have done coop online, but after a speight of problems and design decisions like that, I wrote off the price of the game as a loss and didnt touch it again.

13. mattbailey

mattbailey What's a Dremel?

RTFM.

14. Phil Rhodes

Phil Rhodes Hypernobber

Neither, really. A combination of the things Arkanrais complains about; immense, hopeless levels of bugginess in the single-player campaign, and a UI mechanic I can only describe as desperately awkward. The biggest issue, though, is that the main event - the online co-op - is highly reliant on well-organized cooperation of the type that doesn't really exist in online gaming. To fly the Apache correctly you really need two people, for instance, but even the squad-based situation rapidly falls apart as everyone goes charging off, treating it like an FPS, with shrieks of "Leeroy Jenkins."

It could be unutterably fantastic if there were a few dozen people on every server who were willing and able to treat it as seriously as it needs to be treated. This being teh intarwebs, unfortunately, that situation simply never arises. The result is a lot of extremely tedious wandering around practically empty maps, shooting at tin cans for the sheer cathartic release of blowing something up.

So near, and yet so far. Can't blame the developers, really. Humanity sucks.

15. ev1lm1nd666

ev1lm1nd666 What's a Dremel?

I think I might give it a go but I really don't think my machine will cope in any way. It's a lowly AMD 64 5000+ X2, 2GB Ram, and a frankly sh*te Nvidia 9600 GSO 1GB (I did build it as a HTPC). the biggest bad point for me in ARMA 2 was all the walking for ages to see a pinprick in the far distance then die, but then, I'm not that good.

16. will_123

will_123 Small childs brain in a big body

You obviously didnt play it for long as there are lots people out there who take it seriously and have that level of communication in the game. Pretty much every server has a team speak that they will let you join and play from even though you are not part of the clan. It does have its bugs but the main action is in the multiplayer co op.

17. Phil Rhodes

Phil Rhodes Hypernobber

You may be right, inasmuch as I spent an awful lot of time staring at the "select server" display - this is another major flaw. You get a huge list of servers and no way to sort them into a list of what might actually be playable - either the ping is ridiculous, it requires resources you don't have, it's full, it's a private match, you join and then it's never started...

...merely getting a game is hard.

P

18. CrapBag

CrapBag Multimodder

Yeh that's what I found, played the first single player mission planted the explosives on the target and after searching through the control setup for the detonate button I managed to inexplicably kill myself in the explosion.

Also the jets have next to no rudder control making them almost imposible to fly with any accuracy.

I expected it to be complex but OMG it took all the fun out of pc gaming.

19. rogerrabbits

rogerrabbits What's a Dremel?

They should have just released it without the single player.

20. CowBlazed

CowBlazed What's a Dremel?

Awesome, look forward to playing some of this before ARMA 3 comes out.

Tags: Add Tags