1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Watercooling How do i mount the EK-DDC 3.2 PWM pump?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Ygd3n, 14 Dec 2013.

1. Ygd3n

Ygd3n What's a Dremel?

Hey, I recently recieved an EK-DDC 3.2 PWM pump and mounted the X-TOP CSQ - Acetal on it.

But I'm just wondering, I have seen other DDC pumps with mounts on the side, but this modell doesn't have it.

I've seen 2 holes underneath the pump, but they aren't threaded. My thoughts is using thick doublesided tape and just mount it that way..

[​IMG]

Help please! :D

2. lancer778544

lancer778544 Multimodder

I will preface this by saying I have zero watercooling experience, but I think that if you mount the pump directly too the case, you'll case vibrations. I've seen the Shoggy Sandwich getting good reviews. It looks like you mount the pump to it using nuts and bolts then using the double sided adhesive, mount the whole thing to the case like so:

[​IMG]

With the lack of mounting brackets on your pump, you could always use double sided tape to mount the pump to the sandwich.

3. Ygd3n

Ygd3n What's a Dremel?

That's what i was thinking, strong doublesided tape and using some sort bitumen/noiseabsorber plate. :)

4. Big Elf

Big Elf Oh no! Not another f----ing elf!

I use the Shoggy Sandwiches and would recommend them.

Because the DDCs put out a lot of heat through the base I'd also recommend this heatsink.

It's not the best but is the cheapest and does work, especially with a fan. You can mount the heatsink to the Shoggy Sandwich by using Velcro on the 'legs' that are supplied with it.

Edit: Just noticed you have the PWM version. By connecting it to the 4 pin CPU header and configuring the PWM settings you can have it running really quietly when the system is under low load and ramp up the speed under higher loads.

5. IvanIvanovich

IvanIvanovich будет глотать вашу душу.

Just get these to mount, you replace the stock bolts that hold the top on with them.

6. Ygd3n

Ygd3n What's a Dremel?

Yeah, when I ordered it the guy that's owns the store suggested me to take the PWM version.

Can I just hook it up to an regular 4-pin connector to the motherboard ? And How do i then adjust it ? :s ( My first watercooling system, so im bad at this..)

7. IvanIvanovich

IvanIvanovich будет глотать вашу душу.

Suggest you attach PWM to the CPU fan header. Almost always the bios/uefi have at least low/med/hi for CPU but may not for other headers. I set mine up in 10c steps with low at average idle temp which on my set up is 20-30c, med at 30-40c and hi at 40c+.
    Alternately on some you can set it as speed percentage, like low 20%, med 40%, high 80-100%. This you have to be more careful, make sure the percentage does not end up lower rpm than pump lowest, or otherwise it will not even be on.

8. Big Elf

Big Elf Oh no! Not another f----ing elf!

Which motherboard do you have? Asus have the Qfan utility that runs in Windows and gives a bit more control over PWM than the BIOS.

Alternatively SpeedFan can be setup to provide a fair range of control but it can be a pig to configure but this guide is useful.

I have my pumps configured to run at about 1600rpm until CPU temps hit about 50ºC then they're set to run at about 3000rpm. I found that if I set a sliding scale for rpms the noise was more irritating.

9. Ygd3n

Ygd3n What's a Dremel?

Don't have a motherboard yet, it's progressing project build. But im gonna get the Gigabyte GA-Z87X-OC..