1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Sony: "We can't guarantee security"

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 18 May 2011.

1. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

2. mi1ez

mi1ez Modder

Burglarized?

And no, I wouldn't run an inventory before calling the police!

3. liratheal

liratheal Sharing is Caring

....What?

If my house was broken into, whether something was taken or not, I'd phone the police first :/

Also, how did they not know that cyber-security is an ongoing battle that they're likely to lose already?

4. Phalanx

Phalanx Needs more dragons and stuff.

Face, meet palm...

5. greigaitken

greigaitken Minimodder

Only those who CAN guaruntee secuirity should be storing IMPORTANT info.
    If somebody is making guarantees they cant uphold - thats different issue

6. yuusou

yuusou Multimodder

Palm, say hello to face...

7. Jaffo

Jaffo What's a Dremel?

I don't expect a system to 100% secure. I do expect the data within it to be encrypted.

8. DbD

DbD Minimodder

They protect their own IP quite happily - making our lives hell with their ott DRM, rootkits and lawsuits against anyone they don't like the look of (i.e. the little guy not the hackers as they can't catch them).

However when it comes to our data seems they aren't quite so bothered - leaving it lying around unencrypted, then having to cheek to tell us it's not their problem - pointing out if you look in the terms and conditions the small print says they are not liable.

So far Sony all you've done is convince me the hackers are right - if the only way I avoid you wrecking my PC with your rootkits is to use hacks well what choice to I have. If the only way I can get my paid for bluray to play is by using hacks to strip the (unbreakable lol) DRM off it first well what choice to I have. If the only way I can protect my identity is by making sure you don't get all my details well then it looks like I'll not be signing up to Sony.

9. azrael-

azrael- I'm special...

Here's the world's smallest violin playing just for Sony!

Honestly, one would at least expect sensitive customer data to be encrypted.

(By the way, shouldn't it be 'perceived' and not 'percieved'?)

10. N!ck

N!ck ModMag.Net

bad new world of cyber-morons from big corps =)

11. Paradigm Shifter

Paradigm Shifter de nihilo nihil fit

The first step, then, is encrypting everything. That way, if someone does break in, it's not handed to them on a silver platter.

Even after all this, with the PSN back online, Sony aren't fully encrypting the data they store, at least according to their FAQ.

12. Bungletron

Bungletron Minimodder

For a failure of this scale this is a monumentally pathetic and weak excuse, with future 'its not our fault if people hack us' let off kicker attached to boot, its a disgrace.

And certainly if my house was buglarized I would phonerelize the police right away, what idiot would not? Americanisms accepted the content itself is senseless and treats Sony customers with contempt.

13. Valinor

Valinor What's a Dremel?

Yes, but if they encrypt everything well then they'll be unable to unencrypt it so you can see what information you've got stored, or they can have a reversible encryption, but in that case it'd be far easier for hackers to also reverse the encryption so there's little point.

14. Woodspoon

Woodspoon What's a Dremel?

NO YOU DON'T...... you call the police, then work out what you've lost.
    And burglarized isn't a word, the word is burgled, I'm not normally a grammar Nazi but this just annoy's me.

Sony: "we're not secure, we know we're not secure, you know we're not secure, we may never be secure and there's not a lot you can do about it, if you want to continue using the Playstation network"
    Thank you, come again.

15. SMIFFYDUDE

SMIFFYDUDE Supermodders on my D

Burglarized sounds like somthing that happens in prison showers.

16. Fizzban

Fizzban Man of Many Typos

lol it begins with a B for sure.

17. Fod

Fod what is the cheesecake?

Well, what do you expect them to say? "Your data and stuff is now 100% secure"? That's patently false. Sony is doing the best thing here and being brutally honest. No computer system is infallible - and with complexity and size comes ever more possible attack vectors.

18. paulp

paulp What's a Dremel?

Could this may have been a strategic decision not to encrypt in order to save money in work time, space programing or some other benefit that might accrue to them? If so they took a big risk of injuring and upsetting customers!!

19. Tsung

Tsung What's a Dremel?

Yes, I can sign into PSnetwork, yes I'm forced to change my password.. At this point I decide the best cause of action is to remove my CC details (already stopped) and change my personal details. Ok, horse has already bolted, and im shutting the stable door, but there is a new horse in the stable and I'm certain it will bolt again.

The thing is, When I try to remove my name & address from the sony playstation network, it wont allow it. It INSISTS on having an address even if I do not wish for it to be included. So, as it required an address I gave it one... Sony's UK customer services. Storing customer information that is not requried should be outlawed, preventing customers from removing their information should be illegal. :/

20. memeroot

memeroot aged and experianced

dont care - the banks are liable under fsa guidelines.

Tags: Add Tags