1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Graphics Nvidia 560 or 570 for Dell U2312HM?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by SleepyMatt, 10 Oct 2011.

1. SleepyMatt

SleepyMatt What's a Dremel?

Hi there!

I'm planning my first ever build in the next month or so, just waiting to see if anything happens price-wise when/if AMD ever releases Bulldozer.... in the meantime I've just ordered this monitor for just under £190 (which I think is a bit of a bargain!)...

Dell Ultrasharp U2312HM

... and am planning what I need graphics card-wise for it. I don't intend to ever go up to multiple monitors as I don't have the desk space, and anyway, I'm upgrading from an ancient 15" 4:3 CRT with scratched glass, so I'm pretty sure this will easily be enough of an improvement! Also incidentally.... 0.6ms input lag on an IPS - :jawdrop:.

I am keen on either the MSI N560GTX-Ti Twin Frozr II/OC (currently £181 on Scan for the 1 Gb version or £205 for 2Gb) or possibly bumping up to the MSI 1280MB GeForce GTX 570 Twin Frozr III Power Edition OC (£267). Once I've built the computer it is unlikely that I'll be changing any bits for 2-3 years at least (currently running a 6 year old machine!), so I am looking for a card that will last me a while. If you're wondering why these two paticular cards, I happen to just like the looks of them, as well as obviously the good reviews, overclocking potential etc! While I don't plan to OC initially, I am certainly tempted to dip my toe in the water once I'm happy the machine works ok!

My questions are:

1) Is there really any need for the 570 for current gaming at 1920x1080?

2) Will getting the slightly more modern card make all that much of a difference in the next few years?

3) Is there much benefit in getting the 2Gb 560 if I go for the cheaper board, given I'm not planning on having a multi-monitor setup?

For those interested, the rest of the gear is likely to be based largely on the September gaming workhorse assuming that Bulldozer doesn't outstrip everyone's low expectations, though with a 128-256Gb Corsair M4 SSD and 8 Gb of RAM, and I'll probably lose the sound card for now. It will be for general use and gaming, I mostly play FPS type stuff at a (very!) casual gamer level.

Thanks for the advice!

Edit:

4) As I'm putting this in a Fractal R3, if I go for a 570 should I consider something that rear-vents such as the EVGA 1280MB GeForce GTX 570 HD Superclocked, or with a single card in it will the temperatures not be too worrisome regardless?

Last edited: 10 Oct 2011
  2. fdbh96

fdbh96 What's a Dremel?

Just go with sandy bridge and a 560 and you'll be fine. I have a i5, 460 and a u2311h and everything runs on max (bar bad company 2)

3. Lankius Maximus

Lankius Maximus Minimodder

Mate I have exactly the same Dell monitor as the one you want with a 560ti. It quite happily played the BF3 beta in 1920 x 1080 on high settings with absolutely no issues at all.

Hope thats some guidance.