1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Displays Monitor or TV Recommendations

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Unicorn, 3 Jun 2014.

1. Unicorn

Unicorn Uniform November India

I need a small TV or monitor for a specific application. Ideal size would be 23-24".

I'm inputting a composite BNC video signal from a CCTV DVR and a SCART signal from a FreeSat box on a different input. Does anyone know of a small TV which will do this or a switcher/converter which will allow me to input these two signals and output HDMI to a monitor? I can change the two signals to composite video - the FreeSat box using a SCART to RCA adapter and the CCTV using a BNC to RCA. Cost isn't a problem as long as it works, and the monitor has to be VESA mountable.

2. Unicorn

It looks like I'm on my own with this one then!

3. jinq-sea

jinq-sea 'write that down in your copy book' Super Moderator

Hmm. Do you need new or used? A half-decent Samsung TV/PC Display would do the trick nicely there. I have a 20" one which I use sometimes as a monitor and sometimes as a TV - I can get the model number off it later if you like? I am sure they did 23/24" panels in the same range?

4. Unicorn

Anything, new or used doesn't matter to me! If you can get me the model number I'll take a look, thanks!

5. jinq-sea

6. Unicorn

I don't think that has enough inputs for what I need. The problem is that most modern TVs only have a single composite input, and some (lots of LGs for example) even combine the composite and component ports, meaning you can't use both of those at the same time either. I think a new set with multiple HDMI ports and a couple of composite to HDMI converters is going to be the easiest way to achieve this.

Last edited: 11 Jul 2014
  7. krishan

krishan Minimodder

Could you get a rf modulator and have the cctv input via tv coax and keep the freesat box on composite?

8. jinq-sea

One of the two Sammys I have has one SCART and one composite, both separated - surely that would fly?

9. MSHunter

MSHunter Minimodder

-just a though,
    it might be a good excuse to buy a HDMI freesat box. In the end it would probably be more practical and might even save you some cash. :)

10. Unicorn

Update on this; I got my hands on an LG 24MN33D 24" LED TV for £170, including a wall mounting bracket. It has composite video input via the green RCA socket of the component input, as well as HDMI, SCART and VGA. I actually bought two at the time and replaced the old 22" Samsung LCD that I've been playing my Xbox 360 on for the past couple of years with the spare one.

For the CCTV application, it was perfect out of the box, but I had to tweak the settings quite a bit for use with the 360. When properly set up though, it's a nice panel and is not only bigger but also much nicer aesthetically than the ugly old 22" Samsung.