1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other Your bookshelf and books!

Discussion in 'General' started by mansueto, 16 Dec 2014.

1. mansueto

mansueto Too broke to mod

We already have the "what are you currently reading thread" but as of late, I've become very interested in peoples choices for displaying their books. Right now I have a small shelf that is only partially full, since most of my older books are scattered around the house, and I've got 50 or so on my kobo ereader. Some people have some awesome home libraries and it's always nice to see people appreciate their books and collections!

Post em up :D

Currently reading: The World of Ice and Fire. Basically, it's a ASOIAF history book.
    [​IMG]

1st shelf: I've read everything except for The Blade Itself, The Winter King and The Black Company.
    [​IMG]

2nd shelf: Haven't read anything on this shelf besides Assassin's Apprentice
    [​IMG]

I'm a big fantasy nut, and I've got the 1st book from a lot of major series. Here's a link to my Goodreads profile. The bookends are obviously Game of Thrones bookends which I got from HMV last year. Also not shown is The Lands of Ice and Fire, which are a bunch of detailed maps for the ASOIAF series.

Edit: I think the next series I plan to read is The Broken Empire Trilogy, though I may instead try out The Gunslinger.

2. Cerberus90

Cerberus90 Car Spannerer

Read most of them at least twice, some a lot more than twice, need to find some new books, :D

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. mansueto

How's the initial "Sword of Shannara" trilogy? A lot of people have said it borrows heavily from Lord of the Rings.

I have the Harry Potter books also, but not on my shelf, those are elsewhere. I also haven't read the Lord of the Rings; I love the movies but I've heard the books are a bit overly detailed. I'm still on the fence about eventually picking it up to read.

4. Cerberus90

Cerberus90 Car Spannerer

LOTR is a bit of a chore to read, although not as bad as The Silmarilion, I've still read them twice though. I reckon the GoT books are more detailed than LOTR, so if you can manage them without getting bored, LOTR shouldn't be a problem.

Shannara, great, I've loved every book, not too heavy going, moves the story along nicely, and isn't too predictable. I'm getting the latest three after Christmas.

I never really though of LOTR at all as I was reading. I'd say it's similar in that it's a fantasy book about an adventure with magic, but any further and you might aswell say that every other similar fantasy based book is borrowing from LOTR.

5. mrlongbeard

mrlongbeard Multimodder

Well I would, but I don't keep books, I generally read 'em and pass them on to family or charity shops.

The only exception to this is a family bible (not a believer but I'll be buggered if I'll face the wrath that'd follow if I got rid of it), an old set of Shakespeare plays, the Larson trilogy and the original 6 Green Mile books.

Other than that there are approx 75 - 100 books squirrelled away in a cupboard waiting to be read

6. Big Elf

Big Elf Oh no! Not another f----ing elf!

I have a Library (spare bedroom) with 10 full size bookcases and 3 half size. I filled them about 10 years ago and still have about 300-400 to find space for.

7. mansueto

Being a fantasy fan, the genre really didn't explode until maybe 20-30 years ago. There are a lot of fantasy novels that are classified as "young adult" fantasy, when they are in fact, quite adult and not appropriate for early teens.

I do plan to fill my shelf / shelves with the majority of the fantasy series I've read / am going to read. A lot of the things I have on my kobo I will eventually buy in hard copy. I finished The Wheel of Time a few months ago, but I don't have any physical books, but I certainly want them for a future re-read / personal fantasy library.

I still remember when I was younger (5-10) we had a spare bedroom with shelves filled with encyclopedias and such; things that most young people have no use for today (because of the internet).

Edit: My sister has a shelf in her closet that she stacks her books on. My parents do read magazines and the occasional book, but once they're read, they just end up in boxes and disappear under the crawlspace, only to be forgotten.