1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Steam Star Wars: Battlefront 2015

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by Parge, 7 Oct 2015.

1. Parge

Parge the worst Super Moderator

OK guys! New game, new thread.... and a new channel now created on the Bit Tech Teamspeak server.

[​IMG]

First impressions..... coming right up!

Last edited: 7 Oct 2015
  2. Parge

So, first impressions are that it feels like a more arcadey, star wars themed version of Battlefield with powerups - this is no bad thing!

It should be said, that graphics and sound effects are absolutely NAILED here. Gorgeous in every sense of the word, and really reminiscent of the movies. Destruction at present, isn't hugely noticeable outside of vehicles and structures such as turrets etc.

There are three main game modes available in the beta. 'Drop Pod mode' as I call it, which is essentially king of the hill, 'Rush mode' which is basically rush from Battlefield and 'co-op horde mode' which is simply swarms of enemies. All are VERY fun. Horde mode especially, surprised me with how good it was.

The interface is very clean, very well done and dropping into a game with mates is a piece of cake, really great work from DICE here.

There are several interesting game mechanics that make it stand out from the crowd. First up no 'reloads' (I can't help but hit R occasionally anyway) - instead your weapons overheat and you have to wait for them to cool. Its a really well done mechanic and means you don't have to rely on moron Pug teammates to restock you. Outside of your primary weapon, you have 4 'cards' that can be populated with all types of equipment from thermal detonators (grenades basically) to jump packs (which are an absolute thrill to use by the way). These also recharge after use, taking varying amounts of time depending on the item you choose.

Overall, I'm not 100% sold straight away - I don't know how much longevity the game has, but its certainly pretty fun to start with and I'll definitely be playing more this weekend.

I've recorded two videos for you all to take a quick look at.

'Drop Pod mode'

Last edited: 8 Oct 2015
  3. CrapBag

CrapBag Multimodder

Played the alpha, enjoyed it but wasn't that struck on it to be honest.

My son is more interested to play the beta though.

4. rainbowbridge

rainbowbridge Minimodder

great to read an early review.

I have a question.

Is there a single player mission game in which you get to fly tie fighters and speeders in the forest?

5. The_Crapman

The_Crapman World's worst stuntman. Lover of bit-tech

I'm certain it's just a multiplayer. Unfortunately I'm in the process of moving, so my pc is all packed up, but internet I getting activated tomorrow when we get the keys and the router is waiting for us at the post office, so hopefully will get a chance to play it before I'm back in work next week.

Pew pew.

6. Parge

Multiplayer only. There is two player Co-Op though.

The beta is limited to three levels - one for each game mode - These are Tatooine, Hoth and Sullust- so hard to say what the 'Endor' level has on it, but it definitely won't be single player.

7. wyx087

wyx087 Homeworld 3 is happening!!

Thanks for the quick review, looks like open beta starts today and ends 12th.

Pew, pew pew time :D

8. MadGinga

MadGinga oooh whats this do?

A Star Wars themed Battlefield?! oh my.
    Might have to give the Beta a go...

9. Weekly_Estimate

Weekly_Estimate Random bird noises.

My day off just became more interesting :)

10. Parge

Download is 10.5gb in size FYI

11. Darkwisdom

Darkwisdom Level 99 Retro Nerd

Anybody playing yet? I've found it pretty good so far. But I didn't really play battlefield so I can't moan about that.

12. Otis1337

Otis1337 aka - Ripp3r

been playing this for a little while now, and im defo not going to buy it.
    Plays and feels like battlefield with starwars maps and skins.
    Its nothing like battlefront 1 & 2. the flying is a complete waste of time.

2/10 IGN - Very disappointing.

13. spolsh

spolsh Multimodder

Enjoyable so far, enjoying both the MP game maps. Even got to be Luke and kill storm-troopers complete with whuuum-whuuum sound effects.

I think the graphics look really good so far. Sound is pure star wars as expected. .

14. Lankius Maximus

Lankius Maximus Minimodder

Had half a dozen games on the Hoth multiplayer (couldnt get onthe other server).

I think the AT ATs are a bit too hard to bring down. Maybe the hit points could be lowered, or, is it a case that we are all too low a level characters at this point.

Also, considering the recently published minimum specs I was interested to see that my rig appeared to handle the level (at high/ ultra with vsync enabled and that polygon slidey thingy at 150%) quite smoothly. I know there's not much detail in Hoth but I live in hope for the final game.

Doesn't seem bad at all.

15. Porkins' Wingman

Porkins' Wingman Can't touch this

Were you using harpoons and tow-cables? That armour is too strong for blasters. FYI.

The_Crapman likes this.
  16. Harlequin

Harlequin Modder

got to say am quite impressed so far - EA have dragged the game into the `10s with a style that will appeal to modern gamers - the original`s are both over 10 years old now!

8/10 so far

17. Lankius Maximus

Lankius Maximus Minimodder

Er, no pure brute blaster force. I must have missed that part of the film where they took one down in a snow speeder with a harpoon and cable :wallbash:

18. Harlequin

Harlequin Modder

enjoy lads ;)

19. samkiller42

samkiller42 For i AM Cheesecake!!

Very impressed myself, More impressed with the lack of loading time, From desktop to in a match in less than 10 seconds, much impressive.

Sam

Ninja Edit:
    Star Wars Battlefront runs at 720p HD on Xbox One, and 900p HD on PS4, And as an Xbox One owner, that's going to hit MS hard me thinks...

20. wyx087

wyx087 Homeworld 3 is happening!!

I played a few hours of it last night, pretty similar to BF4 in feel, a more arcade version of BFBC2 in gameplay. I liked it, but not enough to want it on release.

The drop pod mode is pretty fun, there are no camping, just run and gun. But gets old pretty quickly. Because of the run-and-gun nature, it highlights my biggest grip with BF3-4: instant deaths or simultaneous death. The client-based hit-detection still sucks big time.

The AT-AT assault mode is kind of like reverse-rush, excellent in theory. But it seems the empire always wins, it's always a slaughter house for rebels. Apart from X-wing and A-wing, there doesn't appear to be any ground vehicle to help the rebels. Whereas the empire has AT-AT and AT-ST. Sure, it's more realistic to the film, but it kind of takes the fun out of it (as a rebel).

One thing I really like though, is the pick-ups. It takes the pain of grinding for unlock away, it goes back to the good old days of power-ups and picking up better weapons. For this, I feel it's worth getting when on sale.