1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Networks UPgraded bandwidth but same download speeds

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by 7hr08ik, 6 Jan 2013.

1. 7hr08ik

7hr08ik Kill all Humans!

Well virgin have now upgraded my broadband speed. I was on 10Mb now im on 20Mb. Woohoo!

But ive noticed something, and im not sure about it....I was downloading Blacklight retributuion and ive found that even though my internet speeds have been doubled, my download speed was identical. Im still not getting anything higher than 1200kbps. I was getting this on 10m broadband.

I have noticed through speedtest.net that im still getting the same upload speed of 1mb. But surely i should be seeing faster download speeds due to the broadband being doubled in size?

2. lp rob1

lp rob1 Modder

Note that a download from a server is just as limited by the server bandwidth as your own, so that 1.2Mbps you see while downloading Blacklight may be a server restriction, not one on your side. Try a speedtest to see if you are really getting the speeds you pay for. Do it during off-peak times so that network congestion does not affect your speeds.

3. aramil

aramil One does not simply upgrade Forums

Have you rebooted your router since the upgrade?

1mb upload is what I get on a 20mb line.

Speedtest.net will tell you your actual connection speed.

But as stated above server download speeds are usually managed and limited by the server.

Sent on my CM10 JB powered i9100 by TapaTalk 2

4. RichCreedy

RichCreedy Hey What Who

And also how old is the modem you have from virgin, some of the older ones won't actually get the faster speeds

5. 7hr08ik

7hr08ik Kill all Humans!

Your not getting my point.....

BEFORE the upgrade i was getting 1MB upload speeds and 10MB download on speedtest
    AFTER the upgrade i am getting 1MB upload and 20MB download on speedtest

BEFORE the upgrade in windows i would see items from the internet downloading at a maximum of 1200Kb
    AFTER the upgrade in windows i would see items from the internet downloading at a maximum of 1200Kb

It doesnt matter that it was a game downloading or a random file. My question is about windows. Does it have a maximum bandwidth?

I know that the 10/20MB is different from the internets Mb (big and small 'B') and the difference is a factor of ~8. I know that the usage will vary during the day. I know that the routerr needs rebooting on a regular basis and it does get it. I know that downloads are limited by the uloading servers, but isn`t it amazing how every single server on the internet and even having several items downloading at once will always only get to a maximum download speed of 1200Kb?

I have 1Gigabit Intel ethernet connections hard wired into my router. I am running windows 7 x64 ultimate. I have a clean installation (was only just re-installed last week)

My router, is more than i should have (hehehehe) i have one of the uber routers they give to ppl on 100MB broadband.

So......why is it that when i now have internet connection TWICE as fast as it was before that i can only download at the same rate i was before?

6. deathtaker27

deathtaker27 Modder

7. theshadow2001

theshadow2001 [DELETE] means [DELETE]

Perhaps you could try this site.

http://www.thinkbroadband.com/download/

Now, this is something I have googled and have never used before. So I cannot vouch for the legitimacy of the files or the safety of the site.

But really it just sounds like you're experiencing server side bottle neck. No equipment on your side will cause the bottle neck. Which should be evidenced by your speed test results.

8. CrazyJoe

CrazyJoe Modder

Your download speed has been doubled, you have been successfully upgraded, congratulations.

9. lp rob1

lp rob1 Modder

You have them the wrong way around - MB stands for megabytes, Mb stands for megabits. Therefore you have a 20Mbps connection, not 20MBps. I assume that you got bits and bytes switched, so by saying you download files at 1200Kb you probably meant 1.2MB (1200kB). Times that by 8 and you get 10Mb (or close enough).

If speedtest.net says you are getting 20Mbps, then you really are getting 20Mbps. The fact that you download at 10Mbps is a server issue.

10. IvanIvanovich

IvanIvanovich будет глотать вашу душу.

I suggest try torrenting a linux iso or something. Torrent with a good amount of seeds should max out your connection and is an easy test. If you still hit that wall, then there is more likely something amiss on your end with a setting or something.

11. adam_bagpuss

adam_bagpuss Have you tried turning it off/on ?

just as an FYI you should not be rebooting your router and modem regularly this will cause your speed to drop as virgin servers will see this as a unstable line.

also as another FYI 30mb package from virgin is the same price as your 20mb which was the 10mb. Ive noticed this one mine and im calling them to get upgraded to 30mb.

12. Atomic

Atomic Gerwaff

There's no limit in Windows that you could hit with normal hardware. The limit would be the link speed of you network/wireless card, likely Wireless G/N or 100meg if you're wired into the superhub.

As has been said before it's likely the site you're downloading from that's limiting what speed it sends the data, so no matter how fast you download speed max is it will only download as fast as the server sends at.

Trying a torrent with a lot of seeds is a good idea as you won't be limited by just one source then.