1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Silent Power seeks funds for copper foam cooled PC

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Gareth Halfacree, 1 Jul 2014.

1. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

2. GeorgeK

GeorgeK Swinging the banhammer Super Moderator

"minus applicable transaction fees" is suitably vague...

3. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

They basically mean you'll lose the PayPal fee - otherwise they'd be on the hook for a big chunk of change if they fall just short of their goal.

4. mclean007

mclean007 Officious Bystander

I thought the way these things worked was you made a pledge, then if the target was hit it was automatically charged to your paypal/credit card; if the target wasn't met then you wouldn't pay anything. In that case, why would there be transaction fees? Seems a bit cheeky if anyone is skimming a margin on a failed and refunded pledge, and it would definitely discourage me from crowd-funding anything if that's the way it worked.

5. fix-the-spade

fix-the-spade Multimodder

That's how it works on Kickstarter and the other 'official' crowd funding sites, if you're pledging onto a project's own website then it's very much a free for all, be careful.

6. mi1ez

mi1ez Modder

If it can only detect large objects, how is it going to "protect against intrusion" when you're not at your desk?

7. Gareth Halfacree

By locking the desktop when you walk away. How else would it work? You can get software that does the same thing when your phone leaves Bluetooth range.

8. Teelzebub

Teelzebub Up yours GOD,Whats best served cold

So if locks the system as you walk away does it unlock when you return? Because that could be anyone while you're away :worried:

9. Gareth Halfacree

No. Why would it do that? You approach your desk in the morning, the sensor sees you and wakes the system from sleep to a password lock screen. You leave your desk to get lunch, the sensor sees you and returns the system to sleep, or the password lock screen. Have you ever worked in an office? Every time you leave your desk, you hit Super+L to lock the system. This automates that process, just like the Bluetooth proximity example above.

Understand now?

EDIT: Although there *are* variants of the Bluetooth trick that *can* unlock the system as well as lock it, by exploiting the pairing between the phone and the desktop. The sensor can't duplicate that trick, obviously - just the locking part.

Last edited: 2 Jul 2014
  10. John_T

John_T Minimodder

I like the idea in theory, but I can't see it being practical.

For a start, isn't copper foam quite soft and malleable? I could see the thing gradually becoming covered in indentations from the slightest touches and knocks. Not that that would matter too much, because it would surely become an ugly grey colour over time as it fills up with dust anyway - how on earth would you keep it properly clean? I doubt even vacuuming it would be enough to keep it looking nice.

The thing looks more like a theoretical wish-list than a proper business project...

11. Impatience

Impatience Minimodder

Maybe they could cover it in a... No that wouldn't work, because then it wouldn't get the air to cool it!

12. Teelzebub

Teelzebub Up yours GOD,Whats best served cold

Right so still need passwords, Oh no thank god never worked in an office can't imagine a worse fate than that :eyebrow:

13. blackworx

blackworx Cable Wrangler

More to the point, block scripts on the website and their fancy heading font disgracefully fails back to Comic Sans. Kill it with fire.

14. Anfield

Anfield Multimodder

While I'm aware that hating Comic Sans is the cool thing to do on the internet I'd be far more concerned about the fact that every other PC Cooling Revolution in the last 10 years or so has turned out to either be fake, only work in lab conditions or be prohibitively expensive rather than the choice of font.