1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ubuntu -ck tpf difference help needed

Discussion in 'bit-tech Folding Team' started by davebodger, 15 Dec 2011.

1. davebodger

davebodger My Dremel's bigger than your Dremel

Please help a (relative) Linux noob - I have two similar systems,
    #1 is a i7-970 @ 4.3GHz (25x172FSB) in an ASUS P6T-Delux v1.0 with 12Gb DDR3.
    #2 is a i7-980 @ 4.3GHz (25x172FSB) in an ASUS Sabertooth X58 with 6Gb DDR3.

I am running Ubuntu 10.10 on both.

I have installed the -ck kernel on both but, because they were built at different times,
    #1 has 2.6.35-28-generic-ck and TPF for 6903 = 43 mins.
    #2 has 2.6.35-30-generic-ck and TPF for 6903 = 54 mins.

To my mind the only thing I can see that would cause such a big TPF difference is some difference in the kernels, as the hardware is so similar.
    I don't think the difference in memory size makes any difference because system montor shows them both only using 3Gb.

I have tried to use the Synaptic package manager to install -28 onto #2 but this package no longer shows as being available.

I have also tried using "apt-get install" and specified the name directly but it could not find the files either.

Does anyone know if there is somewhere I can get these old install files from so I can put them onto #2 to test if that is ideed the problem?

I am loath to try updating #1 to -30 in case I loose -28 in the process and get stuck with the longer TPF.

TIA.

2. RedFlames

RedFlames ...is not a Belgian football team

Memory size may not be a factor but what about memory speed? The different motherboards could be the deciding factor too.

as for installing old packages, do you have apt/synaptic delete the downloaded .debs when it's done with them? if not you may be able to grab the -28 kernel .deb from there [forget exactly where they're stored] just run the following to install it.

Code:
    dpkg -i *file name*

3. davebodger

davebodger My Dremel's bigger than your Dremel

Thanks for the swift reply RedFlames.

Memory speed on #2 is actually faster - C8 - as opposed to #1 which is C10.

Thanks for the pointer to the .deb files, I will go file hunting on #1 to see what I can find.

I haven't got a clue what the package managers do with the old files - I have changed nothing so they will do what ever their default behavior is.

I followed the ]H[ardOCP guide to installing the BFS or I wouldn't have got this far. :)

I'm afraid I've spent 36 years using Windows and earlier OS like DOS and CP/M and probably about 3 weeks playing with Linux. :duh:

4. Leroyingo

Leroyingo What's a Dremel?

Well Dave if you get it sorted and it does make a difference let me know what you did :D

5. RedFlames

I'd post where apt/synaptic stores the debs [iirc it keeps hold of them until you tell it to delete them] but my linux VM has decided to eat itself and throw a major hissy-fit... luckily it's not a long [re]install [updating all the packages on the other hand... i really should update my ISO]

also you using a gui or command-line...

EDIT: the .deb should be in [at least that where they are on mine]:

Code:
    /var/cache/apt/archives

Last edited: 17 Dec 2011
  6. jondi_hanluc

jondi_hanluc Retired Folder

I had exactly the same problem

980x with an Asus sabertooth
    970 with an Asus P6X58D-E

They were both clocked the same, both had Ubuntu 10.10 with the ck patched kernel, TPF on the sabertooth was significantly lower like yours. I tried so many different things in the sabertooth bios. I swapped the CPUs around, and the RAM, In the end I gave up, flogged the Sabertooth and bought another P6X58D-E.

7. RedFlames

if thats the case i have a p6t deluxe [v2] that i'd be willing to swap for the sabertooth if davebodger is interested

8. Christopher N. Lew

Christopher N. Lew Folding in memory of my father

That's a bit worrying - I was thinking of getting the 2011 sabretooth.
    How did your good and bad Linux set-ups perform using Windows 7?

9. jondi_hanluc

jondi_hanluc Retired Folder

It performed well in windows, I had to dig out the post below to refresh my memory as it was a while ago, I hadn't worked out at that time that it was the motherboard.

http://forums.bit-tech.net/showpost.php?p=2612694&postcount=33