1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cooling CPU Cooler for i3 3225

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by janineo, 2 Nov 2012.

1. janineo

janineo What's a Dremel?

I'm making the final decisions on my mega-upgrade build and have got to the cooling section.

These are my specs so far:
    CPU: Core i3 3225
    Mobo: Gigabyte GA-B75M-D3H
    RAM: 2x4Gb Corsair DDR3 XMS3 1600
    PSU: Be Quiet Pure Power L7 300W
    SSD: undecided, but probably a Crucial M4 256Gb

The case will be my current Antec SLK1650B. It has a rear exhaust fan (came with case) and a front intake fan (added during initial build 6+ years ago), but I will probably look at removing and/or replacing these.

I'm looking at a getting a quiet CPU cooler, and seeing if that and the PSU fan will cool the system enough without any extra case fans.

There will be no overclocking, and no discrete GPU initially. I may add one in the future, but will evaluate the cooling needed then if so.

I will not be playing any high or mid-end games.

My main criteria is quietness.

Should I be looking for a tower, or downdraft type CPU?

Many Thanks,
    Janine

2. lancer778544

lancer778544 Multimodder

Last edited: 2 Nov 2012
  3. malbluff

malbluff What's a Dremel?

Whilst it's adequate, for current build, if you want the option to add a graphics card, a higher rated PSU, would restrict choice of GPU less. 430/450w would, at least, give you options.
    Would personally prefer GSKill Ares, or Crucial Ballistix Sport for RAM.

4. play_boy_2000

play_boy_2000 ^It was funny when I was 12

Until you have a cpu that you can properly overclock (b75 chipset dosen't support overclocking btw) and a discreet graphics card, you can stick with the stock cooler and ditch both the intake and exhaust fans. Keep an eye on the temps and if you deep it necissary you can add a fan back in.

5. janineo

janineo What's a Dremel?

lancer778544 - Thanks for those recommendations, I will check them out.

Thanks, but though the stock cooler provides enough cooling, I want a quieter option. My husbands PC has a stock cooler on his (not yet overclocked) i5 2500K, and I can definately hear that sitting next to it. If I can find a decent quiet option without spending a fortune, I'll change the one in his PC too.

A graphics card will be several years down the line, if at all. I have no time to play games with work and a young family.

I'm not interested in overclocking, hence the B75 mobo.
    I've bought components in the past that were capable of it, but never actually did the overclocking, so I'm saving money and buying lower-end parts that will perform fine at stock speeds.
    I have a 9 month old child to spend money on instead!

6. Instagib

Instagib Minimodder

+1 for the Arctic freezer 7. That is my go to cooler for quiet, cheap and cheerful builds.

7. teacherboy

teacherboy Part Carbon/Nylon/Bovine

+2 for the freezer 7 pro, cheap as chips and works like a dream - had a couple in the past and they are pretty much silent so it's a great choice.

8. play_boy_2000

play_boy_2000 ^It was funny when I was 12

The i3 has a tdp almost half of the 2500k, with the exact same stock cooler. I've build half a dozen sandy bridge based i3's for a client and the PSU fan is by far more noticable than the cpu fan, even at moderate load. Best case, you have a few more quid to spend on the next generation, worst case, you have to sit the next chair over until you make it down to the shop to buy a new HSF.

9. janineo

janineo What's a Dremel?

The Freezer 7 looks good, and nice and cheap. Will probably go for that.

Thanks all.