1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New Build Ideas/Questions: Pumps in Series & Airflow

Discussion in 'Watercooling' started by cillerbee, 9 Nov 2013.

1. cillerbee

cillerbee What's a Dremel?

Hey everyone Im slowly gathering all the components to start a new build in a Phanteks Enthoo Primo Case and had a few questions/ideas I was mulling over which could use with some outside input.

First regarding the pump set up, I decided to keep my XSPC 750 Bay Reservoir with Pump and also bought a D5 Strong Pump with an EK Top.

I wanted to have both pumps in series however I'm wondering whether the D5 Strong should be before or after the XSPC 750 bay reservoir pump?

Secondly because of the way the case is, I can do a triple rad set up in Push Pull either on the top or bottom of the case. What do you guys feel would be a better position for air flow? The Rad on top or bottom assuming I don't water cool the graphic card which I have no plans for currently.

Finally I'm also some what undecided on which set of fans to use I have 6 of each of the two options below for Push Pull:
    Cooler Master 120mm SickleFlow 2000 RPM
    or
    Yate-loons D12SH 2200 RPM Version

If anyone has any ideas or insight into this, I would really appreciate it.

[​IMG]

Last edited: 9 Nov 2013
  2. The_Crapman

The_Crapman World's worst stuntman. Lover of bit-tech

2 pumps for just the cpu is a bit much. also if you're using 2 pumps they should be the same, especially in series. otherwise the flow will be restricted by the slowest flow rate.

3. cillerbee

Hmm, I will be doing both the CPU and MVF and the only reason im sticking with the Bay Reservoir for now is because I don't have a reservoir by itself. I used the last bit of my money to get all the current parts and I dont really have a PC to use while i wait for more parts to get here =\

I read something to the contrary about two different pumps in series, they can work together though you wont get twice as much much flow rate. Approximately 30% increase in flow rate with two different pumps in series like the mcp and d5. Not sure if you checked this article out before: http://martinsliquidlab.org/2011/04/26/pump-setup-series-vs-parallel/2/

Last edited: 9 Nov 2013
  4. Big Elf

Big Elf Oh no! Not another f----ing elf!

I wouldn't run the D5 Strong at full speed as you'd exceed the operating range (page 1 in Martin's article) of the XSPC pump. Alternatively can't you just remove the XSPC pump?

I'd have the rad of the top of the case as you'll have slightly shorter tubing runs but I doubt there'd be much difference if you had it in the bottom.

Yate Loons generally have a good reputation on rads although they can be loud at full speed.

5. cillerbee

Thanks Big Elf, I think I will run it right after the 750 at 12v to reduce its strength and go for silent operation. I did tried to remove the XPSC Pump but its sealed inside =(

I think I will mount the rad up it'll also allow me to keep the HDD Cages at the bottom this way.

Thanks for the input =)