1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Case Mod - In Progress basic mod question

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by jamesn, 6 Mar 2012.

1. jamesn

jamesn What's a Dremel?

hello all,
    i have just installed an Arctic F12 as an extractor fan into the top of my case. the thing is, i only really need the fan to spin when i am doing something that generates some heat, which do a few days a week only.

so, what i want to do is install a toggle switch next to the fan that will turn it off an on.

i just wanted to check that the correct cable to put through the switch is the black one? this should be the 12v one right?

thanks!

2. longweight

longweight Possibly Longbeard.

Red is usually the positive cable in low voltage circuits but that may not apply to PC fans.

jamesn likes this.
  3. Del.irious

Del.irious What's a Dremel?

To switch on/off a DC motor you just need to put the switch in series with the motor/fan, so on the black or red wire, it doesn't really matter.

4. Picarro

Picarro What's a Dremel?

In almost every fan the positive cable is the red one and it is that one which you should place the switch on.

jamesn likes this.
  5. jamesn

jamesn What's a Dremel?

ah ha! thanks for the heads up guys!

6. Vetalar

Vetalar *learning english*

afair ASUS MB is pretty descent at automatic fan control. my m4g could easilly control each fan header (PWM). just change fan to PWM model, adjust control algorithm via bios or speedfan.

7. kelmannen

kelmannen What's a Dremel?

check the mb if you have built in hardware fancontroller! sometimes connecting a fan "on the fly" can damage the mb, use a fancontroller/build your own.