1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other Quick Question - Norton OEM

Discussion in 'Software' started by AWeakling, 29 Dec 2009.

1. AWeakling

AWeakling What's a Dremel?

Hi All,

Just a quick question, just want to make sure I'm not missing something- The Norton Antivirus software packaged with Gigabyte boards this is only a 3 month trial right, not the full package?

Cheers

2. Gryphon

Gryphon What's a Dremel?

I dont know, but norton is pretty crap anyway. you'd be better off going for a free antivirus such as Avast (which i use) or AVG. there are some other decent free ones aswell, i just cant remember they're names...

When i've had new laptops they've always come with a 3 month trial of norton, never the full thing. and its always the first thing i uninstall :/

3. smajer

smajer what?!

I got a old Gigabyte board and when I got it t was only 30 days for Norton. I personally never installed it. The other good free avg he is talking about is Avira.com

4. AWeakling

Cheers Guys, I was sure I had a key code for Norton with my old P35-DS4 and just wanted to make sure there wasn't a key luking somewhere odd. I tried AVG free and it sent my Hard Drive nuts it would be constantly active and was chewing up some essential resources ruining my enjoyment of Modern Warfare 2. I have also tried Avast which I found frankly quite annoying. I'll try Avira and see what it's like. Thanks again for your help :thumb:

5. nightblade628

nightblade628 Minimodder

I use Avira, it's a pretty good AV but it doesn't catch everything (then again, neither does Norton) although I've found it's picked up many viruses that AVG hasn't. Only annoying thing is that despite you telling it never to automatically update, it completely ignores you and does it anyway, bringing a pop-up ad every time it does, thus minimising whatever program you were running at the time. This means plenty of crashing games.

Still, at least it's free.

6. PureSilver

PureSilver E-tailer Tailor

I'm a MSE man myself, but I give AVG the thumbs up; if you don't like that or Avast, try Panda?

7. Gryphon

Gryphon What's a Dremel?

The only annoying thing i find about avast is the very american "Virus database has been updated" that it announces every update, but thats easy to turn off, then its fine.

oh - and once it decided that utorrent was a virus and tried to delete it :p that was fixed very quickly though lol

it doesnt use nearly as much system resources as AVG, and seems to pick viruses well (at least i havnt had a problem since i started using it (might just be luck though).

8. AWeakling

Thanks for all your help and suggestions. I actually decidded on MSE I had forgotten all about it and I'm a bit of a stippler for trying to keep everything linear MS operating system so opt for their defence afterall they are the ones getting info updates from the millions of PC's that contract all the isues on windows.

Thanks again.