1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Blogs I don't deserve a happy Mass Effect 3 ending

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by brumgrunt, 27 Mar 2012.

1. brumgrunt

brumgrunt What's a Dremel?

2. Diosjenin

Diosjenin Thinker, Tweaker, Et Cetera

Sorry to break it to you, but you're not even going to get a remotely coherent ending...

3. Maki role

Maki role Dale you're on a roll... Lover of bit-tech

Bah bet you get the same ending as me... and I have no idea which decisions you've made. At least you're enjoying the brilliant part of the game, after you complete it you'll never want to hear Das Malefitz again in your life.

4. cyberspice

cyberspice Angel on a bad trip

You'll get the same ending as the rest of us, the only difference is blue, green or red lights

5. neocleous

neocleous Minimodder

6. Material

Material Soco Amaretto Lime

It's less about me actually wondering which ending i'll actually get - I already kind of know thanks to Harry being a leaky bag if spoilers - and more about me marvelling at how the game had kicked the hope out of me so brutally.

7. Mentai

Mentai What's a Dremel?

This post has spoilers.

My biggest worry was that with the lead up to ME3 it didn't feel like the Reapers were much of a threat. My impression at the end of the first game was that preventing their invasion was the only thing that mattered, if they made it into our galaxy then they would win no matter what. The Arrival DLC made it clear that an invasion was going to occur, followed by E3 presentations of Shepherd using a gun turret to shoot directly at one like it was just some regular boss fight...

It turns out that the Reapers DO mess everything up when they arrive, and even when you gather all the races together into one giant army, you have to rely on a deus ex machina super weapon to have any chance. To me this ends up satisfying the original games premise, that the reapers spell humaities doom. As far as I am concerned the "ending" after you get hit by that beam is entirely a hallucination as you're dying. It doesn't matter how hard you tried, the reapers could not be beaten and the cycle of harvesting will continue. I don't care if Bioware releases DLC to fix it, my Shepherd is dead to me, and the ending couldn't have delivered on the Reaper threat any better.

8. Freemanator

Freemanator What's a Dremel?

Paul, what horrible things did you do to your friends?
    I reckon I stayed as a model of compassionate leadership and avoided, killing any of my friends, although I allowed one to sacrifice himself for the cause.

9. chimaera

chimaera What's a Dremel?

Nice Serenity reference in there :D

10. Crunchy

Crunchy What's a Dremel?

Play 3 games, trying not to die.
    Die anyway.

Happened in Halo, now in Mass Effect.

For some that's intersting or exciting, an involving a tragic game proving that gaming is a relevant and important storytelling medium.

For me that's 100 quid wasted.
    I was trying not to die.

11. Crunchy

Crunchy What's a Dremel?

Interesting*
    involving and*

My old keyb' is on it's last legs, bless it xD

12. ResCyn

ResCyn What's a Dremel?

I'm not usually one for memes but yea, just let Marauder Shields gun you down. He's your only chance...

13. Tangster

Tangster Butt-kicking for goodness!

Don't worry. You aren't going to get a happy ending, or even a proper ending.

14. pimlicosound

pimlicosound What's a Dremel?

There be spoilers below.

I'm not vitriolic at the ME3 ending (I won't dignify it by using the plural). I'm just disappointed. It didn't meet my expectations, and not just because I'm a whiny fanboy (although I might be one), but because BioWare specifically led us to expect something better. In particular, they promised that it would be a proper conclusion to Shepard's story, that they would not pull a "Lost" and leave us with lots of unanswered questions, and that a player's choices would affect the ending.

But however you interpret the ending, it's fails by those measures.

- If you take the ending literally, at face value, then it leaves you with lots of questions unanswered (including several new questions that arise in the ending sequence).

- If you believe the Indoctrination Theory, then you have the pleasure of an ending that makes some kind of logical sense, but must assume that Shepard's story is not truly finished.

- Whichever interpretation you choose to follow, when you enter the final sequence all your previous choices are disregarded and your single final choice has little effect on the outcome.

A lot of people are talking about "artistic integrity", but when your artistic output specifically contradicts its stated aims, then there is no integrity, only artistic opportunism.

That said, nearly everything in the game before the ending sequence is fantastic, and I'll certainly be playing through it all multiple times. I'll just have to imagine a different ending in my mind. After all, BioWare has invited ME players to be co-authors of the story, so I feel perfectly entitled to write my own ending, if only in my perfect imagination.

15. Material

Material Soco Amaretto Lime

In my best attempt to avoid spoilers - I've shot him, meaning I'm currently lying to him and her.

Nice spot too.

16. mighty_pirate

mighty_pirate What's a Dremel?

SPOILERS

I don't understand everyone's complaints about how the ending disregards all your previous decisions. They decide directly whether Anderson & Shepard survive. And they serve to weight your final decision to encourage you in different directions to different degrees.
    Having three wildly divergent ending was never going to happen because that would make Mass Effect 4 (or whatever the next one ends up being called) ridiculously complicated to make. And they were never going to dead end their franchise.
    I'm surprised so many people seemed to expect that.
    The ending was always going to be the same thing, but the difference is in what it means, based on your decisions.

I'm not saying it was a great ending, but it was serviceable.
    My only question is why the Normandy & your team were fleeing to hyperspace at the end. If they release a quick bit of free DLC that explains that then I'll be chuffed. I'm quite happy for everything else to remain a mystery. Knowing that the Universe goes on, damaged, changed, mysteries & all is much more satisfying to me than "And they all lived happily ever after".

17. Fizzban

Fizzban Man of Many Typos

" I don't deserve a happy Mass Effect ending"

Apparently nobody does. I got a "good ending" and that was garbage let me tell you.

The ending we got was so far removed for what IS Mass Effect, that the internet exploded. And the ending is lame. Make no mistake. It makes little sense and uses the cheap, cheap Deus ex machina way of explaining things.

Rumours are rife, from potential comments from one of the writers claiming that the end sequence was not what was planned, and that it had ONLY been written by Casey Hudson and the lead writer Mac Walters. To suggestions from the fans that Shepard had been indoctrinated.

And then there is the old chestnut that they are leaving the real ending for DLC..but since Ray Muzyka (co-founder of Bioware) felt the need to comment on this catastrophe personally, I think they just thought that the ******** ending we were given was supposed to be good.

Last edited: 27 Mar 2012
  18. Showerhead

Showerhead What's a Dremel?

Although the plot holes are the biggest disappointment for me. It would have been nice if they had a few ending cut scenes similar to ME2 where upgrading certain parts of the ship gave different outcomes. Only this time you would be able to see say an army of krogan taking on some reaper husks if you recruited them or the same husks overrunning an allied position if you didn't.

19. Fizzban

Fizzban Man of Many Typos

The series was ALWAYS slated as being a Trilogy. There should be no Mass Effect 4.

They promised us endings that would reflect our decisions, they promised us...oh hell with it..I'd be here ALL day saying this. Let me just link you to another post from one of the persons with the time and effort to collate it all together.

http://social.bioware.com/forum/1/topic/355/index/10405204

I've seen better posts on the subject, but I really can't be arsed to spend longer than i already have looking for them.

20. Freemanator

Freemanator What's a Dremel?

In the same spoiler vague vogue.

I didn't like the deceit and wouldn't keep the secret, and so I shared the secret with the affected parties at the earliest opportunity. I also reckon I got the better army behind me, and the other side came crawling back somewhat later. The big plus side was no lost friends.

Tags: Add Tags