1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Scratch Build – In Progress Atlas // 13L Compact Build

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by rogergamer, 3 Sep 2016.

1. rogergamer

rogergamer What's a Dremel?

Hello all,

You may or may not have seen my last post from a little over half a year ago which was a 18L machine made from makerbeams. All the images got deleted so I thought I might as well start a new thread. Over these months I have made huge changes to the build, swapping out the ATX mb for a ITX mb and swapping out a ATX PSU for a SFX PSU. With those changes the build now stands at 13L with a monster zotac graphics card! Aside from the makerbeam I have also made acrylic panels (I would work with aluminum but I do not have access to a machine that can) and interior plates for the build and as of now they are almost done!

Specs:
    • MB: Asus Z170i Pro Gaming
    • CPU: i5 6600k (Delidded)
    • Ram: HyperX Fury 8GB x 2
    • Cooler: Raijintek Pallas
    • SSD: Samsung EVO M.2 500GB
    • GPU: Zotac 980ti AMP! Omega
    • PSU: Corsair SF600

This build is focused on being as minimal and compact as possible while not sacrificing performance, hence the full sized graphics card and the delidded CPU. Currently the delidded 6600k is running 4.7Ghz @ 1.4v with very comfortable temps despite the low profile cooler. The Zotac card has been painted white (originally grey) and it's glossy "carbon fiber" plastic parts sanded down to a matte black. The acrylic used is about 4mm in thickness.

[​IMG]
    Monstrous Zotac 980ti AMP Omega! (The MB plate is missing because it's off for a little trimming, and the brown paper is just a layer or protective sticker)

[​IMG]
    Vented bottom. The hexagonal pattern is surprisingly strong.

[​IMG]
    Rubberized aluminum feet.

[​IMG]
    The acrylic is a gloss black, this is a matte clear coat finish.

[​IMG]
    Testing with flat white. Speck'd white maybe? not that great with paint though.

[​IMG]
    MB on a previous revision of the plate.

[​IMG]
    Cutout with access to CPU bracket and M.2 slot.

As of now the most important thing is to make sure everything fits perfectly together (I have already gone through many failures and iterations!), after that I need to start worrying about what to do with the glossy surface, any suggestions are welcome!

Last edited: 3 Sep 2016
  2. Cheapskate

Cheapskate Insane? or just stupid?

Looks pretty sweet. Gad! that mobo backplate, though. Why don't they just make case mounting points on it.

Surface: For a flat finish, I've had some luck with wet sanding with 240 grit sandpaper. To get it looking closer to brushed aluminum I applied Pledge furniture wax.

3. rogergamer

I see, will definitely try that sanding down these panels.

4. rogergamer

[​IMG]
    Preliminary fit, there are still multiple cuts that need to be adjusted, but at least it works.

[​IMG]
    Vented side & power.

[​IMG]
    Vented top for that overclocked 6600k!

[​IMG]
    IO shield & more venting!

Might be a while until another update as I'm rather occupied right now. But next on the list is to make the improvements/corrections to the plates, and test more surface finishes and actually applying them to the actual case!

5. storm-83

storm-83 Minimodder

Worst thing you can do while doing a build is test-fitting - especially if it's a gaming build, and you only have that one gaming pc...

But it looks good! And that gpu fit looks tight!

6. rogergamer

Worst thing I can do to my PC is fitting the components into my case?

Last edited: 8 Sep 2016
  7. storm-83

storm-83 Minimodder

after re-reading my post, i get where you're getting at...
    all my builds have been rendered prematurely finished after test-fitting components because i only have one complete gaming pc, and of course i want to game...

8. rogergamer

I see, unfortunately I am still learning how to use 3d modeling software and I'm nowhere near having the ability to pre render the build, so every component is pretty much based off of schematics and my own measurements. Many pieces have been recut multiple times before this assembly to make sure everything fits and nothing gets damaged!