1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other Can you get extradited from my privately owned island?

Discussion in 'General' started by Kronos, 11 Apr 2013.

1. Kronos

Kronos Multimodder

think the thread title really says it all. If I own an island but commit a crime serious enough to warrant extradition in another country, could I be extradited from my island?

Lance likes this.
  2. Modsbywoz

Modsbywoz Multimodder

I would assume so. The land you "own" will be within the countries terratories.

3. woody_294

woody_294 Wizard Ninja :P

Seeing as how it's your island, I don't think so, unless you extradite yourself. Or unless it comes under the laws of another country, and then you'd be extradited from that country, not you island, which would still stop you going there, but if it was your own...

Surely though there must be some international laws that would protect the people who the crimes are commited against, then you probably wouldn't be so much extradited, more captured and taken to the offended country for trial.

Also, WTF!? lol

4. Kronos

Kronos Multimodder

Bang goes that idea.lol.

5. Jumeira_Johnny

Jumeira_Johnny 16032 - High plains drifter

If you happen to own an island that didn't lie within the boundaries of another state, then all I would have to do is waltz in and nab you. Once you're handccuffed and dragged off the island, whether you own it or not become moot.

6. theshadow2001

theshadow2001 [DELETE] means [DELETE]

Indeed, technically if he had an independent state, nabbing him off the island would be an act of war. Which would be short lived if he was the only inhabitant

7. Draksis

Draksis What's a Dremel?

If you declare your island as a seperate nation, or if your island is international waters (and thereby it's own nation by default) you can decline extradition.

However this will be a haven for criminals, so if you ever were to have said island, you would very quickly be invaded by pirates. You would then need your own army, seeing as you just seperated from your surrounding neighbor. You could ask for help from said neighbor, but I don't think they will like you cause you just seperated yourself from them.

/2cents

8. IvanIvanovich

IvanIvanovich будет глотать вашу душу.

In todays world, if extradition fails they will just show up and kidnap and disappear you to somewhere anyway if they want you so bad they can't be paid not to.

9. Modsbywoz

Modsbywoz Multimodder

If it is already under nother countries terratory, i would assume they wouldn't give it up without significant reasons. It could be used to military advantage etc.

10. fix-the-spade

fix-the-spade Multimodder

Assuming your outside anyone's official territory, by yourself, and you are the sovereign power the island, probably.

But if all that applies and the hypothetical country really want you, they'll probably take your island by force.

11. jinq-sea

jinq-sea 'write that down in your copy book' Super Moderator

12. Weekly_Estimate

Weekly_Estimate Random bird noises.

Bit tech island, cables every where, Internet start ups daily, would lack one thing...

Females

YEHBABY likes this.
  13. Blazza181

Blazza181 SVM PLACENTA CASEI

Not if you're there, Evo. We all know of your womanizing skills.

As does Big Mike.

14. Boardoombob

Boardoombob What's a Dremel?

If you have to worry about that, then you've not hired good enough security. Either that, or you've hacked the US off.

I remember being told ages ago that most of the private islands in the world aren't actually private; they're technically owned by a foreign government (UK, US, France, Holland etc.) but their jurisdiction only applies to the high tide mark. After that, it's yours (pretty much).

So, either don't go swimming in the sea, or, just build yourself a pool.

15. supermonkey

supermonkey Deal with it

/tinfoil hat

AHA! So global warming is really a conspiracy by world governments to melt the icecaps, thereby elevating sea levels so as to spread their jurisdictions within said islands!

So what happens if my secret bad guy lair giant marine biology lab is located underneath a volcanic island? Since my base library is technically under the high tide mark, does the government own it? Do I still own the missile silo HD antenna in the caldera?

16. Edwards

Edwards Minimodder

Even if they didn't just barge in and kidnap said person when you refused extradition, they can always just set up a ton of trade embargoes with your nation, so you'd have a hard time of it unless you were entirely self sufficient.

17. Draksis

Draksis What's a Dremel?

Or just disconnect your internet...

18. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

Isn't that a war crime?

19. supermonkey

supermonkey Deal with it

Depends. If you're disconnecting AOL, then it's considered a benefit to mankind.

20. Draksis

Draksis What's a Dremel?

[​IMG]

This one is mine... :D