1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Education Where to buy good shoes?

Discussion in 'General' started by Boscoe, 2 Oct 2016.

1. Boscoe

Boscoe Electronics extraordinaire.

So just after 3 months my boots have died with a hole in the sole (I know too early so i'll try a refund or repair). I usually just wear one pair of shoes everyday and they do get a bit of a hammering as I walk a lot in central London to go about my daily life. I need something that isn't the high street crap with plastic soles etc. but I still need them to look good. I look at places like Jigsaw, Dune, John Lewis and such like but they are all either the same crap from the same factory in China or too expensive. I have a budget of around £100 but I'm just going round in circles. FYI this is the sort of thing I like. If you know anywhere that could be good let me know!

2. MonkeyTurnip

MonkeyTurnip What's a Dremel?

Leather soles will never last long, you should look at Rockport, Dr Martin, CAT etc, they all do a more gentrified shoe over their standard work type, bit with a hard wearing sole.

You can have a look at resoling every so often
    I just jas my brogues re healed with a long life heal, but they will need a new leather sole soon. But i only wear those for formal parties, so they last longer in time.

3. Cthippo

Cthippo Can't mod my way out of a paper bag

That would be my suggestion too. Go somewhere that sells work apperal, get fitted, and be prepared to drop a couple hundred quid. A good pair of boots should last at least a couple years no matter what you do to them.

4. Boscoe

Boscoe Electronics extraordinaire.

Thanks guys I think you're right. After having a chat with a great show repairer today (for my old shoes) he told me high street shoes are crap which I already thought and Grensons are good which I might go for once I've gone through your suggestions!

5. Mister_Tad

Mister_Tad Will work for nuts Super Moderator

The man speaketh the truth.

Cheap shoes are false economy - Whilst an excellent pair of boots is liable to set you back £300+, they should last basically forever. Contrast that with replacing cheap boots even once per year, or even two/three and you're definitely up in the long run.

For boots I can attest to the quality of Grenson, Red Wing and Oliver Sweeney (note, not "Sweeney London", which is tat). I've had some of the latter for around 15 years now, with nothing more than the occasional re-heel, and they're in as fantastic a shape as they have ever been.

EDIT: Just thinking about it, I can attest to the quality of Oliver Sweeney circa 15 years ago, but no idea if the quality has been maintained. Grenson and Red Wing on the other hand, as awesome today as ever.

Last edited: 3 Oct 2016
  6. rollo

rollo Modder

I have tended to leave my shoes at my work place these last few years, And wear either walking boots or trainers. Saves me a fortune on shoes.

I walk aprox 2miles every day, Shoes used to last me 2-3 months before they were too damaged for anything of usage.

Depends on age I suppose as well, Some people would not want to wear trainers or walking boots.

7. TheBlackSwordsMan

TheBlackSwordsMan Over the Hills and Far Away

Ebay, sometimes you'll find new old stock at killer prices.

8. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

Clarke's. They do a range of shoes from work to leisure and some interesting rubber-soled hybrids in between. I've got a pair of casual Gore-Tex lined, rubber-soled shoes that can stand a lot of abuse, no problem.

9. splatdeath

splatdeath What's a Dremel?

Timberland make the best footwear known to man, you will pay for it but they put up with everything for years.