1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other Tempered glass screen protectors

Discussion in 'General' started by ElThomsono, 29 Apr 2017.

1. ElThomsono

ElThomsono Multimodder

Why did no-one tell me?

I've had an Xperia Z5 for 18 months now, with the supplied matt plastic screen protector on it the whole time. I dropped it in a beer garden (not sure how?) and I replaced it with a tempered glass one that someone recommended.

It's like night and day, the clarity is amazing, colours seem better too. Fair enough you get a little bit of reflection and it sits less subtly on the device, but it's like having a new phone!

Anyone got any comments on these? Are they any good at protecting from impact?

2. Dopeyman

Dopeyman Minimodder

I've been using them for a while. I'm a farmer so phones get a lot of abuse with dust and being knocked around.
    They never scratch and last for ages. I do find that they sometimes crack so I just replace.
    They normally last me 3-6 months. Will never go back

3. Darkwisdom

Darkwisdom Level 99 Retro Nerd

I've used them for years. Those thin plastic things don't really protect from anything except thin scratches.

I recommend spending a little more and getting one made from Gorilla Glass. You can smack those things with a hammer and they won't break. I believe there's a LinusTechTips video where they put one on an iphone and kicked it about and there was barely a scratch.

4. David

David μoʍ ɼouმ qᴉq λon ƨbԍuq ϝʁλᴉuმ ϝo ʁԍɑq ϝμᴉƨ

I've used them for the last couple of years - I won't use anything else now.

5. ElThomsono

ElThomsono Multimodder

Spreadie?

I got one of these, £3 delivered and although not a perfect fit for the phone, pretty damn close.

Thoroughly impressed, good to know it's likely to do its job :)

6. Otis1337

Otis1337 aka - Ripp3r

There a con. Gorilla glass front on is much harder than the fragile super thin tempered glass.

Screens ALWAYS smash from Gorilla glasses weak point. corner drops.

7. wolfticket

wolfticket Downwind from the bloodhounds

I'm not convinced having a relatively expensive gorilla glass screen protector is necessarily a good thing.

A gorilla glass screen sure, but I think I'd actually like to have the protector made from something softer than the screen itself, so it breaks in the event of a big impact rather than survives and transfers the energy to the phone. The same reason pliable cases for rigid phones are a good idea.

A tempered glass screen protector is probably going to cost less than a fiver so sacrificing it to protect the phone isn't so much of an issue.

8. Otis1337

Otis1337 aka - Ripp3r

It doesnt protect the phone much at all. really not worth it.
    Only protection you need is covering your corners.

9. David

You rang? :D
    There are loads of different makes - it's best just to read through the reviews on amazon.

10. rollo

rollo Modder

I broke my screen protector the other day replaced it for a net £3. Not sure the point in paying more for something that's a pain in the back to fit properly and look good.

Have tried gorilla glass screen ones, adds to much bulk for me. Friend dropped his on the side and it full on shattered. Yeah the screen was fine, but picking the bits of it was a lot of work.

11. David

The hard glass protectors I have used are laminated - if they get smashed, you can prize up one corner and most of it peels off in one.

12. Darkwisdom

Darkwisdom Level 99 Retro Nerd

They have a tendency to be laminated, with an anti-glare coating too. I do like that they can't really shatter. It's like an extra peace of mind.

13. ElThomsono

ElThomsono Multimodder

The Z5 has plastic corners for this reason, subtly done and a good colour match.

The reason I use a screen protector is that with my last phone (Galaxy S2, it lasted forever) got tiny scratches on the screen, even though I always kept it in an otherwise empty pocket. The Z5 is 18 months old and looks like new.

Tags: