1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Nvidia sees record profits, serious growth

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Gareth Halfacree, 14 Feb 2013.

1. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

2. rollo

rollo Modder

Nice work from nvidia actually seeing profits grow in most of there areas whilst others have really suffered in the current climate.

3. Shirty

Shirty W*nker! Super Moderator

Tegra just works.

4. Griffter

Griffter What's a Dremel?

i only ever got nvidia cards... so this is coming from a fan...

"now to go the way of THQ - udraw pad with their ridiculous project shield nonsense" just when they up they decide to throw it all away with swollen heads and silly gimmicks.

come on nvidia.. show us something we want.

5. LightningPete

LightningPete Diagnosis: ARMAII-Holic

Nvidia are going to need one or two rivals however to keep this up otherwise driving for further innovation, performance and efficieny will decline in terms of growth. Well done though!

6. Hustler

Hustler Minimodder

I thought Tegra was just a custom ARM processor.

7. matee

matee What's a Dremel?

I like nvidia cards - over the years I had much less problems with them than the AMD ones. Maybe I was just unlucky with Radeons. Glad to see them making money so they can spend it (hopefully on RnD).

But I don't agree on F2P. Sure it brings money and attracts more gamers, but I still prefer the old-school way of paying for a full game. Just imagine if they tried releasing FF7 under F2P. Disaster!

"The company's quarterly net profit figure is the stand-out headliner, however, growing 50 per cent year-on-year to $174 million - despite a stock repurchase programme that saw the company spending $100 million in the last financial quarter and a further $46.9 million in dividends to shareholders"

Quarterly profits have absolutely nothing to do with stock repurchase programme and same goes for dividend. "Spending" money on those two do not affect profits.

8. rollo

rollo Modder

To maintain there profit growth on mobile they need htc, Motorola or another tablet to really see a huge sales win.

With Samsung and apple making there own chips and them 2 been the biggest I do wonder how well tegra4 will do this year.

9. pbryanw

pbryanw Minimodder

I've just switched over to a Nvidia card after years of Radeons and I'm very impressed with how they do things on the Green side. And it was worth getting a Nvidia just for the Geforce Experience program - it makes setting up all those hidden settings (and making your games look their best) a doddle.

10. dolphie

dolphie What's a Dremel?

Hurry with the GTX 7xx, I need one asap.

11. LordPyrinc

LordPyrinc Legomaniac

For many years I only ran ATI cards. Once I bought my first NVidia card, I never looked back. I've always thought it was a mistake for ATI to sell out to AMD. I still believe that ATI would be a stronger company if it had not been bought by AMD.

12. Snips

Snips I can do dat, giz a job

It's good to see one of the better companies actually doing really well.

13. dolphie

dolphie What's a Dremel?

Don't AMD have the fastest single card graphics card on the market?

14. CAT-THE-FIFTH

CAT-THE-FIFTH What's a Dremel?

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2013/02/14/nvidia_q4_f2013_numbers/

GPU sales are actually down from last quarter.

It is Tegra which is the main winner here,plus the GPU sales include the Tesla cards,which have shipped in large numbers to people like ORNL,and are high profit margin parts.

Last edited: 16 Feb 2013
  15. dolphie

dolphie What's a Dremel?

Ahhh thanks, I was wondering.

16. maverik-sg1

maverik-sg1 Minimodder

I don't know about anyone else, the reason I have not puchased any of the current GPU's is that the older 570/580 cards handle 1080p gaming just fine.

If I were to upgrade to a 2550x1440 monitor, none of the current batch are strong enough to offer decent enough performance (at full eye candy settings) - which will only get worse with new releases.

Couple that with the current geforce cards being built from the GK104 variant rather than the full fat GK110 and we're being charged hi-end prices for mid ranged GPU's - the inbound GPU from Nvidia is rumoured to be $800, which is far too much money.....AMD are not helping the situation with no new silicone forecast for release this year means there's no reason for prices to drop.....they must both be waiting for (or needing) 20 or 14nm nodes to be mainstream?

The ever increasing prices of GPU's make next gen consoles more and more appealing (cost of GPU buys one Gen4 console).

17. dolphie

dolphie What's a Dremel?

^ My problem exactly.

And I don't even have 1080p. I currently play at 1680x1050 on a 20" screen. It was great for keeping the cost down because my HD5870 can handle anything at this res.

But I really want something bigger (and my monitor is on the blink too). But going to 1080p would cost me a lot and is more of a stepping stone upgrade. So I really would prefer to go to a 2550x1440 monitor, but the graphics card is the problem. None of the single card solutions would cope too well, especially over the coming years. And I just can't bring myself to spend about £700+ on the dual card things. I really want a GTX 780.