1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Blogs Hardcore Farmville and the games that play themselves

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by brumgrunt, 21 Jan 2013.

1. brumgrunt

brumgrunt What's a Dremel?

2. Xir

Xir Modder

I've never even tried farmville...

If on the other hand someone would port the original AoE to my handheld, my day would be lost...

3. ashchap

ashchap Minimodder

I don't mind games making me wait, as long as there is a reason, not just "give us more money!". I remember playing Planetarion a lot, back in the early '00s. The whole game was based on 1 hour 'ticks'. Everything took an integer number of hours to happen, so launching an attack on another planet could take 5-7 hours and all you could do once you had launched was wait (and get up in the middle of the night!) to see if the enemy managed to get their defences in place in time. The waiting meant you had time to discuss things with other players, set up alliances and devise strategies together.

Waiting adds an extra level or realism to the game, but that realism is completely shattered if you can pay to skip the wait.

4. steveo_mcg

steveo_mcg What's a Dremel?

Aye, games like Neptunes Pride put the Real into RTS.

My wife had a lot of these games on the go at once for a while but she soon got bored.

5. blacko

blacko What's a Dremel?

the thought of a full blown total war on my ipad makes me a little damp.

6. Xir

Xir Modder

one word...Galaxywars

7. Cei

Cei pew pew pew

Planetarion ruined my social group at school. The backstabbing was insane - we all were pretty high level really, and took any chance to get an advantage. The day after a successful raid the loser would generally come in to school in a massive grump and refuse to talk to anybody else for ages. Of course, looking back, we basically picked on everybody and nobody was actually constantly the loser, but it sometimes felt that way.

Such a good game for the time.

8. forum_user

forum_user forum_title

A game that fits this category is Paradise Cove. It is another cute, town creation game that utilises gems and other shiny trinkets to hook the kids. However the worst part is that it also includes a form of gambling. So, you buy your kids £2.99's worth of gems to help them build their town, but later on you find out that your child visited a cute cartoon mermaid who happily announces she will look for riches and treasure for them, but it will cost a few gems ... 5 minutes later, gems wasted, child develops personality disorder and gambling addiction. Starts stealing the valuables and pawning them for money ...

Anyway, I wish a journo would highlight this disgusting development in these 'cute' games.

9. IamJudd

IamJudd Multimodder

Clash of Clans. Really good game that you can play with or without paying for the gems.

10. dolphie

dolphie What's a Dremel?

11. Griffter

Griffter What's a Dremel?

dead space 3 and u must pay in game after ur "hooked" also... the gap between ipad and consoles is smaller than u think sadly.

12. wyx087

wyx087 Homeworld 3 is happening!!

I've tried many many games on the App store, as soon as I see any sign of "PTNWA", I delete that from my iPad/iPhone. Same goes for apps that require micro-transaction to unlock features, it's not a business model aimed at gamers.

So far, only the few older paid games that was on "free-app-a-day" stayed on my devices and games that I bought outright such as GTA3.

Don't know about the developers, but I will NEVER buy into their micro-transaction scheme. Never I tell you!

13. Stegas

Stegas What's a Dremel?

Has OP tried Planetary Interaction (in EVE)?

14. LightningPete

LightningPete Diagnosis: ARMAII-Holic

EVE - not even summed up entirely but makes a great point in the article.

There politics on a grand scale. Theres an economy that is scary to resemble lots that our real world economy has.
    Its factions and alliances of players cause so much rift and changes that the politics and economics changes dramatically in each region of constelations. Then theres your own standing with numerous players and NPCs that can cause you to lose that vital trade route. Theres logistics to consider , i dont have a ship big enough to move all these shipments at once, trading contracts of all types for others to do for you another aspect. Simply put its a digital almost realisation of a life we live in but its more exciting war-torn or business aggressive.
    Farmville is just a pathetic excuse for all the noob gamers who enjoy phones and tablet games who cant be bothered to actually play a proper game.

Tags: Add Tags