1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Build Advice Building my first gaming PC with a $1200 budget

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by UhOhCheerio, 17 Oct 2012.

1. UhOhCheerio

UhOhCheerio What's a Dremel?

As i said above, I have a $1200 budget for my first custom built gaming PC. I’ve checked various websites and forums for good components and have come up with this build:

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/kxio

It is a bit over budget as you can tell. I already have a good 1080p monitor, keyboard, and mouse. However, I would also love suggestions on any tried and true keyboards (backlit) and mice you all enjoy. I currently have my eyes on Logitech or Razer products. I have a laptop at the moment so I won’t be using any old components and I also intend to overclock my PC.

Is this a good build? Would it be future proof? I am fairly new to PC gaming but I am very curious and open to learning new things. I’m a little stuck at this point and would appreciate more suggestions on different builds and components which would lower down the price tag but not lower down its performance by a big margin.

Thank you in advance for any support!

2. mrMonkeyChunks

mrMonkeyChunks EVGA Cheesecake

If you are using this computer primarily for gaming I would drop the i7 cpu and pick up a i5 3570k which should save you a bit ($215 from newegg)

You could get away with a less powerful PSU too, around 550 - 600 should be fine for that build.

I would also suggest swapping out the SSD for a samsung 830 series SSD.

3. MightyBenihana

MightyBenihana Do or do not, there is no try

Does that RAM fit under that cooler?

Also that is an expensive case, have you looked at the fractal R4 or the Corsair 500 series?

4. Sviatoslav

Sviatoslav What's a Dremel?

I'd go with SilverStone Raven RVO3 for the case of the similar price... Check out Custom PC April 2012 reviews + it's been their recommended gaming case for a while now