1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Memory Faulty ram?

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by atc95, 20 Dec 2012.

1. atc95

atc95 I have the upgrade bug!

I have the ram in my sig and have recently upgraded from 2x4gb to 4x4gb of the same memory.

Occasionally I now get blue screens as well as several programs crashing which suggests that one of these sticks is faulty. I have removed one dimm and the pc seems to be fine but is there a conclusive way to check if it is faulty. Especially as I am still within the 30 day return on amazon.

Thanks in advance
    atc95

2. LennyRhys

LennyRhys Fan Fan

The only way to ascertain a fault with one of your memory modules is to test them individually.

Unfortunately this is time-consuming, but it's worth trying.

You will need to burn Memtest 86+ to CD and boot from it, and the test will start automatically.

If a memory module can pass 3 times in succession, it's fine.

3. atc95

atc95 I have the upgrade bug!

Ok thanks, do you know if it is possible to return just the one faulty module or do i would have to return both 4gb modules, if it does end up being faulty? I would have thought amazon could ship out a single 4gb replacement If i were to give the faulty one back with the packaging.

4. LennyRhys

LennyRhys Fan Fan

If one was faulty you'd have to send back the pair as you bought them and they would send you out a new pair.