1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Aspyr bets the farm on SteamOS success

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Gareth Halfacree, 19 Jan 2015.

1. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

2. greigaitken

greigaitken Minimodder

GULP!, makes my business seem easy peasy and i have hundreds of competitors which include amazon....
    I hope they can manage to overcome.

3. Cerberus90

Cerberus90 Car Spannerer

Am I understanding this right, that since 1996 they haven't broke-even yet? Or is that just for the Linux porting?

4. dyzophoria

dyzophoria Minimodder

Goodluck to them. Steam OS isnt gaining any traction over the last year though..

5. ZeDestructor

ZeDestructor Minimodder

Linux porting. Else I really don't see how they'd have survived that long

6. Parge

Parge the worst Super Moderator

Steam Linux had 60 games in February 2013 - by February 2014 there were over 300. By October 2014 there were over 700.

So what you are saying is fundamentally incorrect.

7. ZeDestructor

ZeDestructor Minimodder

SteamOS hasn't, but Steam on Linux has been coming along quite nicely

Well, gaming on Linux in general, really

8. Guinevere

Guinevere Mega Mom

700 available games doesn't prove that people are moving to the Steam OS or even Linux ports.

If I was writing an indie game for Steam I'd make it available on OS X, Steam, Linux and PC.

9. rollo

rollo Modder

Games been made available for steam OS is not the same as the OS is gaining traction. Thats like saying Blackberry OS is on a come back because Apps are been made for it. The same can be said of Microsofts windows mobile stuff it has Apps coming to it but has still not really moved on its %.

As of december 2014 linux os had 1.34% of the desktop OS market ( The one where you know games would actually matter) ( Yes they have alot more of the server market but your not playing games on a server)

Even including Andriod as some sites have it still is only at 22% which is crazy low considering Andriods domance of mobile which sits at 85% or so of the mobile OS.

10. TimB

TimB What's a Dremel?

To be fair, SteamOS hasn't even released and there are no Steam Machines yet. So it's no wonder they have not been making any huge gains in adoption rates thus far.

11. edzieba

edzieba Virtual Realist

Exactly. Windows 10 is similarly free for anyone to install while in development, but it would equally not unfair to claim at this point that it has a poor adoption rate. Neither have been targeted at anyone other than testers and extreme early-adopters.