1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Nvidia GeForce GTX 460 photos and specs appear

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Claave, 25 Jun 2010.

1. Claave

Claave You Rebel scum

2. rickysio

rickysio N900 | HJE900

Desperation move. If it yields results, all the better.

3. Redbeaver

Redbeaver The Other Red Meat

if a $250 card can overclock 200+mhz and can compare to 470 performance,. then yes, i know what im buying...

ps: im an nvidia fanboi. just to be clear on that.

4. perplekks45

perplekks45 LIKE AN ANIMAL!

It looks tiiiiiiiiiiny!

5. adam_bagpuss

adam_bagpuss Have you tried turning it off/on ?

if it did overclock that well then why the hell would anybody buy a 465 or 470. if its true Nvidia have just kicked themselves in the nuts.

i highly doubt this is true

6. isaac12345

isaac12345 What's a Dremel?

U mentioned it was overclocked as a teaser, could u provide the source please?

7. Hustler

Hustler Minimodder

Hmmm, twice the bandwidth and nearly 4 times the fill rate of my 4850.....for the 1Gb version

£140-160 and i'd think about it.......

Something is desperately needed to fill the £150 market gap that exists right now, as the 5850 is ludicrously overpriced at £225....

8. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

Just the reference to Expreview who made the claims from the same person they got the photos and screenshots of the GTX 460 driver page from.

9. lp1988

lp1988 Minimodder

That isn't going to happen until Nvidia comes out with an actually competitive product, and judging by what we have seen so far, it is going to take a while.

currently the most competition ATI has is from itself, and its own (hopefully soon to come) 6XXX. As of now ATI don't have to do anything but sit still and make some money. In the mean time they are preparing the 6XXX series so it can be launched at the time, Nvidia has anything which can compete with the 5XXX range.

10. mrbens

mrbens What's a Dremel?

How stupidly rediculous! Why bother releasing 2 cards at practically the same price that run at different speeds and both under the same name? Just makes the graphics card market even more confusing.

They should just release the 1GB version. Who's really gonna worry about the extra few $ for a better card unless benchmark scores show they just give the same performance which I doubt.

11. 13eightyfour

13eightyfour Formerly Titanium Angel

In theory then the 1Gb should come in around £170, If thats the case and they clock somewhere near a GTX470, i reckon they could become the bargain SLi setup of this gen.

SLi GTX465's arent that far from a 5970 at stock speeds from what ive read, so somewhere near 5970 performance for almost half the price? Sign me up.

BUT we all know it isnt going to hit £170, probably more like £180-£200 which means its going to have to be one hell of a card if pricewise it come that close to the 5850

12. Tangster

Tangster Butt-kicking for goodness!

If it is any good then ATi will just price drop and make it uncompetitive.

13. TWeaK

TWeaK Minimodder

I don't think ATI will be bringing the 6 series out any time soon. A while back they had an interview on here with a guy from ATI who basically said they've got a few more iterations of the 5 series to bring out if Fermi was actually competitive. Also, don't forget like others have said they can just do a price drop before they even have to bother bringing anything new out.

14. lp1988

lp1988 Minimodder

This is true.

What they might do is bring a single or two cards of the 6 series as "high end" cards and the charge a premium price for these. The reason for thinking this way is that the new cards has always been cheaper to produce on a Cost/performance level, so a single or two cards at a high price and a low production cost.

15. Elton

Elton Officially a Whisky Nerd

Even with a price drop though, the cards are still dissapointing.

I still need to get a used HD4850 for crossfire, which incidentally would equal a HD5850 in most cases.

16. frontline

frontline Punish Your Machine

Maybe, but make sure you have a well ventilated PC - i ran 2 x 4850's in crossfire for a while and whilst it offered great price/performance as a setup, it also dumped a lot of heat into the case. I had an Antec P180 with 3 separate chassis fans and it was still hard to shift the excess heat.

17. alwayssts

alwayssts What's a Dremel?

I highly suspect it is true because:

A. This is why it is stock-clocked so low, so the 470/480 have breathing room. That and...

B. nVIDIA needs a part to compete against 5830 and 5850...even if accounting for overclocking (which I think will put them pretty equal) yesterday. Not to mention...

C. They HAVE to put out something for the < 2x6-pin (150-225W) market. One should also consider...

D. nVIDIA sucks at planning for processes. The whole of GF100 is the obvious example, but also that 750-775L/~900H are the sweetspots for power consumption/clocks on 40nm. If you design a chip for a certain performance based on knowing this, you likely wouldn't design a chip with this whole spec unless....

E. They're waiting for GF100 to clear the market before releasing it in a full iteration - 384sp and a reasonable price tag ($299?) to take the crown from Cypress. Staggering releases not only to maximize profit, but to give time for GF100 to have it's (half-baked) moment in the sun...and to regain loses. With reasonable clocks at stock, it should be on-par to a 5870, or faster than a 470, which would be bad for them with 470 still being sold, not to mention with overclocking ability exceeding the stock performance of their current and future (512sp) $500+ parts. With high stock clocks on a full part, it could undoubtably beat a GTX480, the same for a 336sp part and 470, but I don't expect that clockspeed increase (/'new products') until the first renaming, which will happen when GF100 is completely gone, and they know what they're fighting against on the Southern Islands front (my guess would be 6850 for the 384 part, 6770 for the 336sp part).

I expect the 256-bit part to be a wash against the 5850 after overclocking, likely with pretty similar power consumption. While that sounds all well and good for nVIDIA, as they have physX, CUDA, etc to break the tie for many people, one of two things are going to happen, if not both.

A. The 256-bit part will sell well, the price will increase, and 5850 will look like an equal if not better option.

B. ATi will lower the price of the 5850 to compete with the the 256-bit version...and completely decimate it when they are compared at stock in reviews.

In closing, this will be a good product, especially for overclockers. The thing is, a 384sp part is what they need, and if it exists, they can't/won't release it because of GF100...the same goes for higher clocks on this part, and that's going to screw them. By the time they finally put it (or them) out there, they will be competing with Southern Islands.

Last edited: 26 Jun 2010
  18. alwayssts

alwayssts What's a Dremel?

My argument for that is two-fold.

1. The 256-bit part probably has 32 ROPs, the 192-bit 24. I really do not get why they'd do this other than to keep power down...and purposely hamper performance with the lower-bus and memory. Sure, it probably helps yields with the lower ROPs, but my guess is it's aiming to squarely at the 5830.

2. I don't think they'll be at the same price for long. Depending on what ATi does (lower the price on 5850 and/or 5830) the 256-bit version will go up or the 192-bit version will go down.

At least...That's my best guess at nVIDIA's plan.

19. Tulatin

Tulatin The Froggy Poster

Needing 2 PCI-E 6 pins and a dual slot cooler on a midrange part is sort of dicey. I don't really mind the dual slot cooler myself (though I'm sure I would were I to run an matx / itx build), the two connectors make it sort of a hard sell for me. I dread the day when I have to go deal with a system that has a blown PSU due to this being chained to one molex via a field of adapters.

20. rickysio

rickysio N900 | HJE900

I don't mind - if this is sufficiently potent, I can just see myself getting it. My 600W PSU won't run away, after all!

Tags: Add Tags