1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Watercooling Corsair H80 - Stick With Corsair Fans Or Replace?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Itchy Rim, 17 Apr 2012.

1. Itchy Rim

Itchy Rim Minimodder

Hi,

Before I start a build I would appreciate some advice on the choice of fans to fit to a Corsair H80 radiator. For most efficient cooling and quietness of operation should I stick with the stock Corsair fans that came with the H80 or replace them with a pair of aftermarket fans?

If replacing, would anyone please be able to advise on a good make/model of fan for use with the Corsair H80 radiator. The H80 will be used to cool an overclocked i7 2600k (hoping for around 4.2GHz to 4.5GHz) in an Antec P182 case fitted with a 140mm roof fan (Scythe Kaze Maru) and two stock Antel 120mm Tri-Cool fans front mounted and drawing air in over the HDD cages. The GPU will be an ATI Radeon 5850.

My main criteria are efficient cooling and quietness of operation in that order.

Itchy Rim

2. improprietary

improprietary FT03 is a bitch to watercool

the price just goes up with a h80 when you take into account the fans :p
    I use noctua's p12 fans but i hear alot of people use the gentle typhoon 1850rpm fans instead.

3. .//TuNdRa

.//TuNdRa Resident Bulldozer Guru

I have heard it said that the default corsair fans barely move as much air as a Mouse Fart, but on the flip side; is the extra cost of more fans worth it against the cost of the H80?

Gentle Typhoons would be very good for cooling performance, but they're something like £10 a fan.

4. Itchy Rim

Itchy Rim Minimodder

I paid £50 for a brand new and sealed H80 with full tug on the warranty. I can ditch the mouse farters and shop around for a couple of Gentle Typhoons which should still keep costs sensible overall? Perhaps I could try to flog the Antec Tri-Cool fan that will be replaced by the H80 for a couple squirts, mebbees not, are 2nd user Antec Tri-Cools worth anything at all?

Itchy Rim

5. damien c

damien c Mad FPS Gamer

When I used the H80 I sold, for about 1 or 2 weeks I tried the stock fans and they kept a Core I7 920 @ 3.8ghz below 80c per core.

I then removed the fans from the pump and put them on 12V adaptor's and the temp's dropped down to around 70c per core.

Swapped the fan's to 2 Scythe Kaxi Jyuni 1900rpm fans and the temp's dropped to around the 60c mark.

It sounded like a jet engine though with the stock fans and the Scythe fans.