1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Networks Home Network Upgrade - Router Help Needed

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by bradders2125, 26 Nov 2008.

1. bradders2125

bradders2125 What's a Dremel?

Hi all,

Recently my SpeedTouch 580 router decided it didn't like connecting to the internet, so i'm stuck with a SpeedTouch 330 USB Modem. This gives me a chance for a much needed network upgrade.

So, i need help choosing an adsl router with gigabit LAN. Wireless doesn't bother me at the moment as my PC's and 360 have all got a wired connection. I don't mind having a modem/router connected to a gigabit switch. The only problem i do have is i only have £60 maximum to spend, no going over. If i can get the kit for less that would be great.

I am a little hesitant at looking at netgear and linksys as in the past i have worked with both with not too much success, having a NG router RMA'd 3-4 times because of faults and about 3 Linksys switches dying within 6 months of use.

Having not really looked at any networking equipment for the past 4 months i'm in need of advice.

Thanks in advance.

Bradders

Last edited: 26 Nov 2008
  2. barry99705

barry99705 sudo rm -Rf /

Weird, I've had a netgear 16 port gigabit switch running 24/7 for the last three years, never had a problem with it. It's one of the all metal enclosure ones though, they cost a bit more. I think it was $150 US when I got it.

3. bradders2125

bradders2125 What's a Dremel?

The ones i'm on about are the cheaper white plastic ones.

4. barry99705

barry99705 sudo rm -Rf /

Well you know what they say, "You get what you pay for"! :D My wife bought mine for Christmas. Gotta love that Amazon wish list. Takes the wrong part gifting out of the equation.

I just remembered I had one of the linksys 8 port gigabit switched at my last job. I did mod it though. I pulled the little 8 billion rpm laptop fan out of it and installed an 80mm case fan. Fan was way overkill, but way quieter. Pushed terabytes of data over that thing, it was my imaging switch, so it would be hooked up to 7 macs at once and I'd push the hard drive images to them from my mac. Other than the loud fan, it was a pretty good switch too.