1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows What is the best replacement for MS visio?

Discussion in 'Software' started by bagman, 2 Feb 2012.

1. bagman

bagman Minimodder

So I need to do some flow charts for college, and I don't have £500. So I was wondering if there are any cheaper (preferably free) similar programs to MS Visio.

Thanks.

2. Bumfluff101

Bumfluff101 Minimodder

Have a look on software4students. co.uk it's much much cheaper on there

Sent from Bittech Android app

3. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

There are a few open-source Visio-alikes out there, but I'd be the first to admit none of them hold a candle to the real thing. 'Course, they also don't cost £500...

Here's a partial list.

bagman likes this.
  4. andrewbarke

andrewbarke What's a Dremel?

microsoft offer a 60 free trial (at least they did when i needed it)

5. Zener Diode

Zener Diode User Title

Does your university provide access to MSDNAA/Dreamspark. Ask your course administrators or something, I'm studying Engineering and I have access to Visio for free.

bagman likes this.
  6. cpl

cpl Minimodder

I lecture aerospace engineering at a uni. Can't beat visio for schematic diagrams. You can do a fine basic flow chart even in powerpoint, although visio is better for sophisticated ones.

I'd be surprised if you can't use visio for free while on campus.

Your college IT dept will have a software license guru. Check with them. They should be able to get you a super-cheap license for your personal machine.

Although my guys just use http://education.pugh.co.uk/ which you could use youself, http://students.pugh.co.uk/. Viso for about £25 there last time I checked!

Edit: From £29 through your institution. £55 for a student directly.

Last edited: 2 Feb 2012
    bagman likes this.
  7. lp rob1

lp rob1 Modder

+1 for Dreamspark! I got a copy of VS for free that way - and yes, nothing really compares to VS. Microsoft isn't known for making good things, but that IDE is superb. And before bashing me about that last comment and Windows, see the Linux thread :p

bagman likes this.
  8. bagman

bagman Minimodder

Wow thanks for all the help guys, I have settled on Dia for a short term solution, but I am looking into trying to get MS visio a lot cheaper for a more permanent solution. I am only doing simple flow charts for how programs operate at the moment so Dia is all I need.

9. Unicorn

Unicorn Uniform November India

Same here, it's a very handy arangement :thumb: Although I can't make use of it for profitable, business purpoes :/