1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Motherboards Gigabyte Onboard "Audiophile" Features

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by CraigWatson, 7 Jul 2014.

1. CraigWatson

CraigWatson Level Chuck Norris

I'm extremely interested in this little board at the moment, the Gigabyte Z97MX Gaming 5.

Purportedly it has audiophile-grade components, including noiseless/filtered USB ports for hooking up a USB DAC, and decent onboard chips too.

Has anyone verified the quality of said chips vs an ASUS Xonar Essence STX or USB DAC?

2. GuilleAcoustic

GuilleAcoustic Ook ? Ook !

No idea, but I wouldn't expect anything close to Audiophile. TBTH, the word "Audiophile" is very subjective and its definition varies for one person to another.

About DAC, I wouldn't use something that is bus powered for an audiophile use. A proper, dedicated, linear and filtered PSU is the way to go and is often bigger than the amplifing section itself.

I guess that this Gigabyte is a step-up compared to regular embedded sound, but do not expect too much from it.

3. wolfticket

wolfticket Downwind from the bloodhounds

There are a few positive posts about the filtered USB on headfi: http://www.head-fi.org/t/693825/a-motherboard-with-usb-dacs-in-mind

Also some people as pretty positive about modern onboard audio (albeit in hushed voices :) ). If it is well isolated and uses a good dac I don't see a reason why onboard sound can't be of a high standard.

4. GuilleAcoustic

GuilleAcoustic Ook ? Ook !

Because of all the interference and electromagnetic noise inside a computer :). Now, my standard is pretty high regarding audio :blush: ... so this might fit the needs of 99.5% of the users here, excluding me :D

5. David164v8

David164v8 Minimodder

While we're on the subject, how would this compare to what's on the Asus Z97 line? I was looking at the VII Impact in particular.

6. Zurechial

Zurechial Elitist

The words 'Audiophile' and 'Snake Oil' almost rhyme.

I have my doubts as to this being any more than a box-ticking exercise in the endless quest to differentiate motherboards.