1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Modding ATI 5850 mod

Discussion in 'Modding' started by Carper, 19 Sep 2010.

1. Carper

Carper Guru

ok guys so i have a asus ati 5850. It looks like this[​IMG]

basically i have a blue themed computer and would like to mod the red on the card to a blue colour. is this possible? I'm thinking of removing the red plastic (not sure on how that is done) Then just spraying it blue. Would i need some special paint to do this? Thanks

2. sakzzz

sakzzz Minimodder

Yes it is possible, the only issue is u seem quite new to modding, which could drastically affect results. Anyways, U gotta remove screws at the back to remove the top shroud-disconnect the fan plug from the header on the pcb. Once you have that, check if the black bits can be separated else you havta mask them for painting.
    I would suggest reading guides and other work logs on spraying plastic bits (Amazingly informative here on bit-tech). In short, plastic primer as the base, with a coat of blue color and finally a coat of clear. Thats the gist of it. I would suggest practicing on unused panels and case fans first.

3. smashie

smashie Cupid Stunt

Personally I would go for Vinyl Dye rather than paint.

4. Carper

Carper Guru

i guess that would void the warranty if i removed the case of it though maybe it would be better if i just kept it on and painted the red bits on it?

5. Jipa

Jipa Avoiding the "I guess.." since 2004

Or just used some double-sided tape to slap blue pieces of acryl or something that fit the theme.

6. Wing Zero

Wing Zero Ita-sha owner

since there's not a lot of red to cover, you could hand brush some blue paint onto it. Tamiya brand paints (i'd reccomend X-13 metalic blue, looks awesome. shake it well) takes to plastic well without the need for primer coats (from my own experience, YMMV).

7. Carper

Carper Guru

this might be the best thing for me to do as i have done a bit of modeling in my time so the result should be ok. You got a picture of what the colour turns out like? found it here for quite cheap.

8. Wing Zero

Wing Zero Ita-sha owner

it's a custom Transformers figure i did a few years ago, so you'll have to settle for this old picture, but all the blue parts was the Tamiya paint
    [​IMG]

9. Carper

Carper Guru

Looks really good thanks for the help