1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News VESA unveils new DockPort standard

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Gareth Halfacree, 3 Jun 2014.

1. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

2. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

Sounds good but i don't think this will come into its own until DP 1.3, isn't DP 1.2 limited in maximum resolution ? So people plugging in a mobile device may not be able to take advantage of higher resolution displays, like a 4k monitor.

3. debs3759

debs3759 Was that a warranty I just broke?

Current generation graphics cards all specify a maximum resolution of 4096 x 2160 @ 60 Hz over DisplayPort 1.2.

DP 1.3, when GPU manufacturers start to support it, will enable 8K displays, or a maximum of 8192×4320

4. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

Forgive me if I've got this wrong, 4K is 3840 x 2160 yes ? so at present DP 1.2 supports 4K.
    Would (I'm guessing) using some of the wires in a DP cable to carry USB and power reduce the maximum resolution a DockPort could display ?

5. azazel1024

azazel1024 What's a Dremel?

I need to read in to this more, but I don't think the author is mentioning the limitation. Dock Port, or at least last I read on it a couple of months ago only supports USB3.1 if it is NOT also carrying full video. If you are pushing something like 4k over it, I think it only supports something like USB2. Not even USB3.0.

Its very bandwidth constrained compared to Thunderbolt. I mean, it IS a nice step forward, but it doesn't really compete. Not really.

6. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

'The author' didn't mention it 'cos 'the author' hasn't heard anything of the sort - and can't find anything in previous write-ups or official documentation, either. Got a source on that claim?

EDIT: The closest I've found is a comment on AndandTech's write-up of the same press release, claiming "The problem with Dockport is that in it's current iteration you're limited to 2560x1600@24bit/60Hz with Displayport 1.2 + USB 3.x" - but again with no citation.

7. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

Sorry i wasn't meaning to start an argument :worried:

I only asked because i was curious if DockPort comes at the expense of a lower maximum resolution, making it (maybe) not as useful for mobile devices until DP 1.3 increases the available bandwidth.

By the sounds of it the technical details are a little thin on the ground at this early stage.

8. [-Stash-]

[-Stash-] What's a Dremel?

Please. Either DockPort gets some serious traction, or Intel improves (and makes massively cheaper) Thunderbolt. Either way I'm happy. Laptops/tablets/phones need this. It will also make desktops a lot neater – I'd love to have 3×4k screens with a USB3 hub coming (with power) from a single cable from the case, that would rock.