1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Modding Looking for case advice

Discussion in 'Modding' started by maverik-sg1, 9 Nov 2016.

1. maverik-sg1

maverik-sg1 Minimodder

Hi all,

Just preparing for a system upgrade which I will build myself, not strictly modding, but you guys have experience with various cases and I have a really bad habit of buying the wrong case.

The system will be under the workstation, in an area where (over time) dust is an issue.

My ideal case preference (out the box ready to plug and play) will be a full tower case suitable for triple rad in roof and easily accessible (for cleaning) dust filters in all air intake areas (front and bottom).

I'm not bothered about looks, plain or ostentatious is fine, just the ability to set it up and clean.

Budget, lowest cost possible but £150 would be the max.

Your recommendations would be appreciated.

2. Dr. Coin

Dr. Coin Multimodder

A Fractal Design Define R5 meets your criteria of space for radiator, dust filters, full atx/tower case, but I am not sure about pricing in Britain (Amazon.co.uk says it does).

I bought R5 this summer and am using it almost stock. Swapped the front GP14 140mm fan for a pair of HP-14 Venturi High Pressure fans. Have been very please with it so far. Mind you after initial installation the case went on the floor under the desk and I haven't touched it since. I should check the dust filters...

3. faugusztin

faugusztin I *am* the guy with two left hands

Alternatively (depending on number of your hard drives) you might want to look at Define S (less hard drives at front, more open space for water cooling stuff) or Define C (shorter, won't accept 360 on roof, but it should be able to accomodate it at front).

4. maverik-sg1

maverik-sg1 Minimodder

Thanks guys, the Define R5 looked excellent, but the Define S gives me more flexibility as I don't have that many drives to mount - Shame the Define S doesn't have the same base filter removable from the front as the R5 but it's as close to ticking all the boxes I need and price is really impressive for what it is.

5. Dr. Coin

Dr. Coin Multimodder

Glade to be of help.