1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Winlogon.exe causes BSOD (0xc0000005)

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by Khensu, 29 Feb 2008.

1. Khensu

Khensu likes to touch your special places

I've started receiving a lovely BSOD right after the Windows XP Welcome Screen. It reads:

I've had this before and I think I got it fixed. Google and Microsoft's KB aren't helping (strangely enough).

Anybody remember a fix? :)

2. GoodBytes

GoodBytes How many wifi's does it have?

I vote for Windows re-install... that is the work of a virus or malware. If your anti-virus is unable to scan it, then probably you should uninstall it, and try a different one. You can even try trial version of anti-viruses, just for a moment (NOTE: don't have several anti-virus installed, conflict will occur, and render one or them or both to mal-function, or not scan properly). Remember, as you just want the virus out of your system and know were it comes from (If possible).

If you get that after installing a fresh windows install, then it could be your HDD that has a bad area on it.

3. Shielder

Shielder Live long & prosper!

Have you googled on the stop code? I got a raft of hits here.

Are any of them useful?

Andy

4. Khensu

Khensu likes to touch your special places

I got the "Session manager" one too, this morning. Hm. It looks like it's either going to be the hard drive failing (which makes sense, as this is the spill victim of yesterday...) and just generally throwing up error messages; or indeed some malware came with some stuff I found online.

My fairly fresh (last night) install of XP doesn't boot anymore at all now, though, so I'm back on the ol' LiveCD. I'm going to give Ubuntu a try later tonight, and if that starts failing too, I'll save up my pennies for some new hardware.

Thanks for the replies :)

Tags: