1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other eBook reader

Discussion in 'General' started by gilljoy, 5 Jan 2011.

1. gilljoy

gilljoy Minimodder

Hey all,

I'm seriously concidering getting myself an e-book reader, I do alot of reading and personally the idea of being able to have hundreds of books on one little tiny tablet / slate really appeals to me.

Just wondering what the best ebook reader is? I'm currently looking at a kindle 3g / cheapest ipad you can get ( yea i know not a dedicated ebook reader).

What would everyones recomendation be?

2. Fanatic

Fanatic Monimidder

Bought the misses a Kindle for Christmas and she loves it, cant fault the screen for pure reading clarity.

Major gripe is you cannot list items in the kindle store by price or any other format other than 'relevance'. This makes it annoyingly difficult to find free books etc. without using either the web browser on the kindle or preferably a PC.

Other than that I am impressed overall, worth a punt if its going to get used!

3. tripwired

tripwired Deploying Surprise in 3... 2...1...

The only ebook reader worth considering at the moment is the Amazon Kindle (Wi-Fi only version). My wife has one and in my opinion, having seen how she uses it, I think the Wi-Fi only version is sufficient.

Typically, every couple of weeks or so she will sit down with her laptop and browse Amazon, purchasing books which then automatically sync to the Kindle. I think the user experience this way is preferable to browsing the Kindle store via the device itself, negating the need for the 3G version.

On a personal note, I think I still prefer actual books to either a Kindle or iPad for reading (I've tried both), so I'll continue down the traditional route until a truly decent e-reader comes out, which I think i still probably a good several years away yet. They are still clunky and remind me of those old school electronic organisers / calculators. Seems odd that in these modern times where we are used to powerful desktop processors, smartphones and touch screens, that the user experience for dedicated reading devices still feels so behind the times.

Apophis54 likes this.
  4. Teelzebub

Teelzebub Up yours GOD,Whats best served cold

Yea + 1 on the Kindle I bought one was really impressed with it.

Apophis54 likes this.
  5. M7ck

M7ck Ⓜod Ⓜaster

I haven't used the kindle but I have yet to hear a bad word about it. If you are serious about an e-book reader then the kindle should be top of the list.

Apophis54 likes this.
  6. Ficky Pucker

Ficky Pucker I

7. Silver51

Silver51 I cast flare!

Kindle.

:thumb:

Apophis54 likes this.
  8. Teelzebub

Teelzebub Up yours GOD,Whats best served cold

I ordered one of the tri axis cases today on amazon for £18

Apophis54 likes this.
  9. sp4nky

sp4nky BF3: Aardfrith WoT: McGubbins

Kindle is what I'm getting my mother for her birthday. Probably the 3G version since it doubles as a web browser and being free 3G, I think it's worth the extra moolah.

Apophis54 likes this.
  10. DarkLord7854

DarkLord7854 What's a Dremel?

+1 for Kindle

Though if you don't want a dedicated reader, there's a massive amount of Android tablets being announced right now that'll fit any of your desires pretty much.

11. supermonkey

supermonkey Deal with it

I've always thought the iPad and Kindle each had their places in the ebook world. If you want full color illustrations, real integrated media capabilites, and additional functionality such as decent web browsing and such, then a more general purpose device such as an iPad (or similar tablet computer or netbook) would better suit your needs.

However, if all you want is easy access to books and you have no real need for any of the other features, then just as everyone else my vote goes to the Kindle.

My parents bought me a Kindle for Christmas. While I never expressed a desire for one, I've found it quite nice and convenient to keep a number of different books on it. The size makes it easily transportable and the battery life is amazing.

As far as free books, as always, caveat emptor. Make sure you read the reviews for any of the free books available in the Amazon store. I almost picked up a number of free books because they are old and out of copyright. However, I found that a lot of the free versions are poor translations or shoddy ports to the ebook format. Sometimes it's worth paying a few dollars for a more reputable copy.

12. <A88>

<A88> Trust the Computer

I have the Kindle app on my iPad and will probably be buying the device itself for the girlfriend next week.

The best way to find free books is to go to the website itself which allows you to browse by 'free' items. As has been said, there are a stupid amount of out-of-copyright texts available for free. I've got the complete Shakespeare and Sherlock Holmes collections for nothing, and there are a fair few modern books floating around for next to nothing at the moment too.

13. KayinBlack

KayinBlack Unrepentant Savage

I have a kindle as well, and I must say, it's one of the greatest pieces of tech in the house.

Also, Project Gutenberg. We simply don't pay for books. Granted, we really only read the classics on there. We buy few books as it is, but I could see me buying them digitally...

14. outlawaol

outlawaol Geeked since 1982

To stray away from the norm (kindle) I went with a Sony pocket reader. Its small, simple, not overly complicated or power hungery and holds more books than I will read at any given time. You can have a new one for $100 easily now, however I would recommend looking into the sony touch version - its bigger has a touch screen and a built in oxford dictionary. It can be had easily for $120-140. I really like Sony readers, they feel solid and dont have any hype about them that makes them user unfriendly or annoying to read from.

Simplicity over complexity - after all, your reading a book - why complicate it?

15. Turbotab

Turbotab I don't touch type, I tard type

Kindle is great, as long as you don't want to read technical PDFs on it.

The funny thing with a Kindle, is that when you give to somebody for the first time, they inevitably
    start poking the screen, I blame the iPhone adverts:eyebrow:

16. The Monk

The Monk Minimodder

Another +1 for the kindle. Santa dropped one off and I love it.

17. Da_Rude_Baboon

Da_Rude_Baboon What the?

What are you expecting it to do?

18. Silver51

Silver51 I cast flare!

I'm pretty sure Kindle is the only book reader worth considering, especially since all the others have been disappearing under mysterious and unrelated circumstances over the last year. Guess I'll save you the trouble of Googling it.

The Nook apparently choked to death on a toothpick while Kindle, who just happened to be eating in the same restaurant, watched from a table across the room. It was later suggested Kindle might have been loaded with the Collins Gem - SAS Survival Guide at the time, but statements taken from witnesses at the time (Mrs HTC and Mr Magimix) never suggested that it was anything other than an accident.

The Kobo, fell from a crowded platform under the wheels of an express train. Again, witnesses reported Kindle's presence, standing alone on the opposite platform, a copy of Fly Fishing by JR Hartley open on its screen.

Sony PRS, Elonex eBook, Cool-er, Alex eReader and the ES600 bought it at a dinner party hosted by Kindle. A lead pipe in the library, poison in the cellar, candlestick in the dining room, revolver in the study and poison in the billiard room. There was only ever one suspect, a Henry hover, arrested for suspicious behaviour after sucking up to police investigators.

iPad was the latest. Found face down in an Akihabara street, a single crossbow bolt buried in its back. Witnesses claim to have seen a shadowy figure watching from the rooftops, the only movement being the loose ends of a hachimaki caught in the wind. Some claim to have heard the whispered words of an Amazonian travel guide, dictated to the evening sky in a distant, monosyllabic tone.

M7ck likes this.
  19. Orca

Orca What's a Dremel?

I've heard many great things about the Kindle... wouldn't mind having a go with one myself but never saw the need to upgrade really. I've been using a Sony Reader Pocket Edition (PRS-300) for a while now and it serves my needs well :)

I rarely read paperback books now, the eReader is always with me in my bag :thumb:

20. saspro

saspro IT monkey

Just send the pdf's to your free kindle address & they reflow them for you.

Anyway

Kindle all the way