1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Case Mod - In Progress Corsair 400 Case Mod Project: "Tribute to SERENITY firefly" ...

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by mnpctech, 11 Oct 2011.

1. mnpctech

mnpctech bit-tech sponsor

This Case Mod was done by bit-tech's MOTM Sponser, Mnpctech!
    [​IMG]

Customize your PC or window with custom Stickers from Mnpctech HERE

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The "Tribute to SERENITY firefly" PC will be at Corsair's Suite at 2012 CES

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Here are some misc graphics/labels designed for Serenity, these were displayed on cargo, equip or interior features of the ship. Some of these should look really cool distressed on the case.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This case mod will be a tribute to the "firefly" Sci-fi series and SERENITY movie. I will draw my inspiration from interior shots of the "firefly" ship. Imagining if the PC was field equipment used by the characters. The case I'll be using is Corsair's 400R mid tower. Here is their product page, http://www.corsair.com/pc-cases/carbide-series-pc-case/carbide-series-400r-mid-tower-case.html

[​IMG]

Made switch box for mounting a pair of fighter pilot toggle switches, this will be mounted on the top handle of the corsair 400R

[​IMG]

Bending toggle switch box

[​IMG]

Switch plates for Red Fighter Pilot Switches, http://www.mnpctech.com/spdprtToggle.html

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Update: 10/14/11

Sorry! to anyone anticipating this to look like the ship, or see a model of the serenity glued on top. My tribute is inspired by visual elements from both the movie and series that appeal to me, in particular "Our Mrs reynolds" episode, which has great scenes of Serenity's bridge. (and christina hendricks) To me, the charm of the Serenity is the mixture of Old West and industrial tech, and sometimes these elements look hobbled together. You can tell the Set builders delved into Ebay for salvaged Electronic and Ham Radio parts. I also love how everything is distressed from use and weathered. The ship's control panel is a mess...lol

[​IMG]

It will be colored to match the panels from firefly's deck, then distressed and weathered with Copper accents, graphics from interior of firefly will be airbrushed.. side panel was created from interior of an old Dremel carry case, with wire loom, 5" conduit, 3.5" fan controllers, misc wires, misc LEDs bulgin panel LED...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Round Modders Mesh for the grills in the side.

http://www.mnpctech.com/moddersmesh.html

[​IMG]

Bare with me on this part, it will make more sense when I've taken more pictures of the panel. I'm making a junction box for the panel, from an old bezel top.. imagining the box suffered damage from some type of accident and caught on fire.. Gumdrop LED is cracked, one of the black wire looms will be disconnected with have melted wires exposed.. I'm still deciding on what looks right, as I go along.. I plan to head over to Home Depot's Plumbing aisle tomorrow for some copper pipe, hopefully I can get .25" diameter, maybe buy a pipe bender, (probably don't need one) and emulate whats I'm only guessing is coolant or misc fluid lines? (it's all pretend..lol) from lower right panel in this photo. I keep telling myself "need more copper implemented)

[​IMG]

after heating and bending the plastic into box... I reflected to myself "Make due with what you have on hand, and improve your skills"

[​IMG]

Dremel had a snack... The effect of having caught on fire at one time will be added with paint later

[​IMG]

One of the black wire looms will be disconnected with have melted wires exposed..

@GA, moddin on the cheap :lol:

Copper tubing and fans installed...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

link
    http://www.mnpctech.com/xbox_360_window_trim_molding.html

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Updated 11/4

Access panel progress

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

with mangled vent ..heh

[​IMG]

...Did you ever see the episode "Our Mrs Reynolds?" ....Christina Hendricks sabotaged the control panel on the Bridge, the wiring was pretty bad...lol

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

progress work on top panel on 11/11/11... the tape over the switch will be cherry on top, when everything is assembled

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The 240 "Serenity" in Kanji grill for the top panel, will be cnc milled from 1/4" Copper.. I may try "Flame Coloring" it like this photo...with Oxygen acetylene torch

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I'll be using Sophisticated Finishes surface effect products to add some rust to areas of the exterior. I used this on the District-9 PC.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Next step is fine tuning the weathered and distressed effects with an Airbrush

[​IMG]

I went over my initial weathered and distressed paint effects with an Airbrush. Anything that contrasted a lot, I muted with Matte Black, like the fan blades, copper tubing, decals, shiny toggle switches on the fan controller and screw heads. I also airbrushed the edges of Silver Aluminum paint, which I used to created the chipped and scratched paint beneath.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Going over areas of the right side panel with airbrush, using Flat Black, over saturated with Thinner.. to weather or "mute" some of coloring in the decals, wiring, and smaller copper tubing

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

and check out Mnpctech's new fan grill for 200mm / 230mm cooling fans, http://www.mnpctech.com/200mm_230mm_fan_grill.html

[​IMG]

The "Serenity" Kanji 2x 120mm fan grill is cnc milled from 1/4" thick Copper. It was Flame colored with Acetylene Torch.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: 9 Feb 2012
    LooseNeutral and David like this.
  2. RedManc

RedManc What's a Dremel?

Already love it! i'm not familiar with the sereinty but ill be watching

3. Xtrafresh

Xtrafresh It never hurts to help

Ooooooo another one! *grabs popcorn*

these switches are excellent, love 'em :D

4. flame696

flame696 Terminating People Since 1980....

God bill how many projects have you got on the go?? Not that I mind as it gves me ideas

5. stonedsurd

stonedsurd Is a cackling Yuletide Belgian

FIREFLY! :clap:

Definitely following this one.

6. Blarte

Blarte Moderate Modder

I do like toggle switches its like being back in the driver seat of the tank ..

7. David

David μoʍ ɼouმ qᴉq λon ƨbԍuq ϝʁλᴉuმ ϝo ʁԍɑq ϝμᴉƨ

Looking forward to this one!

Subbed.

8. IanW

IanW Grumpy Old Git

Hmmm, I wonder if you could get this onto "Castle" as Nathan Fillion's home PC? :idea:
    He's already used his Mal Reynolds outfit as a Hallowe'en costume on the show.

9. improprietary

improprietary FT03 is a bitch to watercool

You do know that by using the firefly theme for your pc you are going to be under extreme scrutiny by your peers right? You don't mess with this fandom :p

by the way, it needs more warning stripes and rust.

10. Hannes

Hannes Design | Art | Performance

Finally! :-D

11. Gentleman_Dingo

Gentleman_Dingo What's a Dremel?

Swwweeeetttt... please tell me there will be an interjected Chinese cuss word. +Sub'd

Last edited: 12 Oct 2011
  12. Cheapskate

Cheapskate Insane? or just stupid?

Yay! Something left limbo.:lol:
    Are you sure you don't want to do the rig based on exterior designs? I'm bummed you won't be strapping charred action figures to the front.

13. KoSoVaR^

KoSoVaR^ Professional Sleever & Modder

i dont like the switches at all, why dont you implement them under instead?

14. Roboduck

Roboduck 01110001 01110101 01100001 01100011

Subbed! :clap:

Can't wait to see where this one goes!

15. Knighthammer

Knighthammer What's a Dremel?

Dito!!

16. Karrek

Karrek Minimodder

I'm a fan of firefly and Serenity - look forward to see your progress. I also agree with Cheapskate that some charred action figures would be awesome... oh well.

17. xMathiasD

xMathiasD What's a Dremel?

[​IMG]

Awesome dude!

stonedsurd likes this.
  18. Cheapskate

Cheapskate Insane? or just stupid?

@Kosovar -His theme is essentially rusty Russian military surplus with Asian warning signs. I expect exposed wires and maybe even some plumbing will be involved.

Speaking of... Any chance some nixie tubes could get in the setup?

19. mnpctech

mnpctech bit-tech sponsor

Thanks for tuning and commenting everybody! Yes, I'm juggling between projects again...lol ...in preparation for CES, January 10 -14 , and I'll be there as well, showing some of my products and previous work. So please let me know if you're attending, so I can finally meet you in person.

Ok, back to this project. Sorry! to anyone anticipating this to look like the ship, or see a model of the serenity glued on top. My tribute is inspired by visual elements from both the movie and series that appeal to me, in particular "Our Mrs reynolds" episode, which has great scenes of Serenity's bridge. (and christina hendricks) To me, the charm of the Serenity is the mixture of Old West and industrial tech, and sometimes these elements look hobbled together. You can tell the Set builders delved into Ebay for salvaged Electronic and Ham Radio parts. I also love how everything is distressed from use and weathered. The ship's control panel is a mess...lol

[​IMG]

Yes, the circa 60s Muscle car hood scoop style panel hump is being removed.. btw: Great for cable management behind MB tray.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

20. LooseNeutral

LooseNeutral What's a Dremel?

Man, you gotta put a bro on a mailing list or something when you start these things! Last I heard of this was on the FB page how long ago... :p Glad to see you went with it and a nice curve ball choosing this case imo. Just don't go cutt'n your ear off for your art... or other pieces for that matter.. :D Switches are bitc.....N! Can't wait to see the guts and gore of this one :thumb: Are you gonna give a nod to the bad little hottie too? :naughty: