1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Displays Wasabi Mango

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Parge, 22 Oct 2015.

1. Parge

Parge the worst Super Moderator

No.... this isn't spam.

Can someone please buy (or buy me!) a Wasabi Mango.

[​IMG]

They are 42” 4K IPS Panels, and support DP1.2 and Freesync between 42-60Hz. Therefore if you can keep a minimum of 42fps you’ll enjoy buttery smooth freesync, all the way to 60fps.

The best thing about them is that they only cost £599.99 for a pixel perfect version. Ok, ‘only £599.99’ is a bit of a silly statement to most people – but when you consider the price of the mainstream alternatives, the ‘relative value’ looks pretty good.

Review here

2. wyx087

wyx087 Homeworld 3 is happening!!

Bargain! My Dell U2711 costed me £800 in 2010 when it just came out.

Oh no, no adjustable stand and no VESA mounting holes.......

3. loftie

loftie Multimodder

There's a thread on Overclock.net saying that there are VESA mounting holes, but it's not 400x400, but 200x200 for the newer HDMI 2.0 version

4. RichCreedy

RichCreedy Hey What Who

can someone buy me one too?

5. jinq-sea

jinq-sea 'write that down in your copy book' Super Moderator

Holy hell. I want one!

6. David

David μoʍ ɼouმ qᴉq λon ƨbԍuq ϝʁλᴉuმ ϝo ʁԍɑq ϝμᴉƨ

...and a couple of 980Tis to drive it.

7. phinix

phinix RIP Waynio...

Would this be better than Philips 40" 4K VA?

8. Vault-Tec

Vault-Tec Green Plastic Watering Can

I've noticed large panels are starting to become more popular now and drop in price.

Apparently HP are making a 32" 4k panel with Freesync for £400 or so soon (USD is $499).

I think 42" would be too large for me sadly. I am currently running an Acer XB280HK 4k with G-sync* and though it's nice I would like it to be a touch bigger.. If that HP one comes out I will definitely bite I think :)

* I was running two Titan Black at the time but then Nvidia "did the 970" so I decided my next purchase would be AMD. So poorly timed really. Then again with all of the SLI/G-sync bugs and flicker I definitely don't miss it.

9. MrGumby

MrGumby CPC 464 User

Wouldn't that be a couple of Furries with it being a Freesync panel? But then no HDMI 2.0. Unless you get the adapter that is due too? Its all very confusing and exciting.

10. loftie

loftie Multimodder

Adapters exist, not sure what colour space they work on. There's a thread, probably on OC forums, with a nano build and a DP -> HDMI 2 converter working.

11. Vault-Tec

Vault-Tec Green Plastic Watering Can

Just looks like a rerun of those Apple screens in a different shell. Problem is you'll get stuffed with duties and so on and then what happens if you need to return it?

12. theshadow2001

theshadow2001 [DELETE] means [DELETE]

The reviews of this one have been good. Not super fast response, not IPS colour accurate as I think its VA, the occasional dead pixel, but great value. Actually I think some sellers might offer a no dead pixel guarantee so that's what you should look out for.

13. wolfticket

wolfticket Downwind from the bloodhounds

I think it's probably good value even with duties applied and it's a bonus if they're not.

And if while "changing you mind" returns could be very costly, you should be pretty safe if it not as described or it goes wrong.
    The cost of return (and any other costs/issues) would be covered by the seller, and if that's not the case it would be an issue for paypal/ebay (who tend to treat buyer favourably anyway).

14. Parge

Parge the worst Super Moderator

Think you'd want a Fury with this - take advantage of the Freesync :rock:

The one I linked is a LG AH-IPS and has the pixel perfect guarantee.

15. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

Urgh 42-60 - that is first gen FreeSync IC (albeit they've updated it to HDMI 2.0 necessary for TV). Newer stuff goes down to 30-35. But 4:4:4 Chroma on a TV - wow!

VA and IPS are the same thing, just LG owns the brand name 'IPS'. Colour dictated as much by the TFT as the scaler IC and processing bit-rate and W-LED backlight quality. You can get 6-bit VA and eIPS, that are worse than 8-bit TNs, they just have wider viewing angles.

No pixel response is stated though and AH-IPS not known as being super fast. You could be looking at ~20+ms.