1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

LOL So long, and thanks for all the fish

Discussion in 'General' started by sear, 24 Mar 2013.

1. sear

sear What's a Dremel?

bit-tech used to be one of the best sites around when it came to hardware reviews, guides, articles on the tech industry, and news. Over the last couple of years, and specifically beginning right around the Dennis buy-out, the quality of writing and coverage has absolutely plummeted. Articles are short and lacking much in the way of detail, not to mention poorly written and apparently not even proof-read, by a revolving door of writers, which makes it difficult to even get a sense of what the opinions and standards of the site are anymore. And there's a hilarious, bitter irony in seeing this once proud PC-oriented site, responsible for supporting the hardware enthusiast community, instead now focusing on console game coverage more than anything else.

See you guys later. Hope you enjoy the Mountain Dew and Doritos.

Teelzebub likes this.
  2. Unicorn

Unicorn Uniform November India

I actually agree with what you're saying, but I'm not leaving because of it. I'm more loyal to this forum than any other on the Internet, CPC than any other magazine on the shelves and bit-tech than any other technology site in existence. There's a reason for that, and despite my opinion on the magazine and site mostly reflecting yours at the moment, I'm not going to abandon them because they're going through a transitional period and aren't as good as they used to be a couple of years ago. The community, site and magazine I owe so much knowledge, so many great acquaintances and so many other things to, deserve more than that.

Last edited: 24 Mar 2013
    G0UDG likes this.
  3. TheBlackSwordsMan

TheBlackSwordsMan Over the Hills and Far Away

+1 I couldn't agree more

ಠ_ಠ Do you wanna kill someone ?

4. Tangster

Tangster Butt-kicking for goodness!

Bye then.

5. Pieface

Pieface Modder

I come to the forum for the members and the maturity of this place, which can be hard to find. Not for the articles.

6. Pliqu3011

Pliqu3011 all flowers in time bend towards the sun

So what you're saying is that you're leaving the forums because of the quality of the articles on the main site?
    I agree that the new articles often don't meet the standard of the old ones anymore (which was amazingly high), but there's still a wonderful forum behind them. I mostly don't even look at the front page anymore. The forums have changed over the last few years too, but not for the worse, imo, it's just a bit different than they used to be.
    But well, if you want to leave, that's you're choice.

The Doritos remark was a bit unnecessary imo.

7. MrDomRocks

MrDomRocks Modder

I came here for advice and stayed for the community. Dont think I will ever leave!

I have both mountain dew and doritos in my bag.

8. postmangav

postmangav What's a Dremel?

Never visit the main page personally. Just view the forum, usually with Tapatalk. What's the Doritos and Mountain Dew thing then?

9. MrDomRocks

MrDomRocks Modder

I have used the main pages when I want information about something I am possibly purchasing.

Do not specifically use it otherwise.

There are some good bits if information at times though.

10. Guest-44432

Guest-44432 Guest

So is the mixture shaken or stirred? I guess the latter could get quite messy. :D.

As to the OP - For the more extreme users like ones self, the reviews have never covered what we experience when using multiple cards, bandwidth testing between different setup's etc. So we as a community have got together to do these different test. it what makes our community so great.
    I may well flash my e-peen around, but what this does, is give people a good insight on the whole experience. Which also helps those that are looking to jump into the same boat.
    There is also a lot of talented people here, with a lot of knowledge on the subjects they know, which makes this community even more bonding, that we give advice usually in seconds to the original poster.
    I don't expect Bit-tech to do these extensive tests, as time is money, and Bit-tech would need a lot of time dedicated to do such tests.:)

I <3 Bit-tech. :D

11. hoochy

hoochy Need moar cooling

Yeah i do this too. Any bookmarks go straight to the forum. Although when I search for hardware reviews etc.. I do end up back at the main site sometimes. I have thought about buying the magazine before, but I just cant bring myself to do it - most articles are outdated or I have read similar things on the internet before.

12. postmangav

postmangav What's a Dremel?

I do buy the magazine some months. To be honest I like all the pretty pictures of hardware!

13. EvilMerc

EvilMerc Minimodder

I might not post as much as I used to, but I still look through threads on a regular basis, the members on this forum are far more mature than most internet users you come across, and the wealth of knowledge within them is unparalleled.

It's all well and good saying the articles have suffered, but the forum is still alive and well.

14. MrDomRocks

MrDomRocks Modder

That e peen gets bigger every year it seems. I can say I have learnt a lot from the forums. Made some great friends within the gaming side of things. And spent money I would have wasted on other crap without bit tech.

If I had your deep pockets I woud most likely be running an extreme system too.

This community is the best there is imo.

15. jrs77

jrs77 Modder

bit-tech is the best site because of it's mature community in the forums. I couldn't care less about the articles and reviews actually and there's other sites like anandtech which I go read for tech-information or game-sites for games.

Set your bookmark to http://forums.bit-tech.net/ and forget about the main-site really.

16. bawjaws

bawjaws Multimodder

I think it's fair to say that bit-tech is great because of the forums, but that the main site itself is a faint shadow of it's former self. I know that Custom PC and bit-tech are now "separated", but the magazine has gone downhill too, although perhaps not quite to the same extent as the site. The number and quality of the reviews has nosedived, which is a pity as they used to be my go-to reference for kit, but now I'll look elsewhere for reviews.

Forums are still great though :)

17. GeorgeStorm

GeorgeStorm Aggressive PC Builder

I now also just use the forums basically, very rarely do I visit the main site :(

Took part in the £1 trial of CustomPC again, was nice to read again.

The forum is pretty decent I've found though, nice variety of topics and a decent level of knowledge/maturity from its members.

18. Guest-44432

Guest-44432 Guest

Yeah, sorry! :D No more upgrades this year now, as I need to keep money for my Loft conversion project. (If I can hold off from temptation that is...:worried:) :D

I'm sure your pockets will deepen in time! ;)

Yep, the community is great here. :)

A? I was originally a member over at CPC forums, before we got merged into bit-tech.net...

I was disappointed at first with the move, and was reluctant at the time to register with Bit-tech. But after several months, I decided to join up. I'm here now, and don't plan on leaving anytime soon. :)

19. KidMod-Southpaw

KidMod-Southpaw Super Spamming Saiyan

I still come here because Bit Tech is one of the best forums out there, putting the main site aside. I can read the articles and reviews somewhere else now, but I still come here for the brilliant community and all the knowledge I've gained since joining here.

If you want to leave the forum because of the main site, that's fine, go ahead, but there's no need to tell us about it, we've discussed the quality of articles many times over.

20. Flibblebot

Flibblebot Smile with me

Wait, so we're supposed to mourn the loss of someone who has been here less than three years and has made, on average, only one post a week during that time? No great loss, don't let the door hit you on the way out.

There are so many reasons to keep coming back to both the B-T front page and the forum - Gareth's excellent news articles, the camaraderie and vast wealth of knowledge in the forum - and the possibility that once, just once, Cheapskate might actually finish a mod :D

Yes, the front page might have decreased in quality over the last couple of years, but steps are being made in the right direction - and, to be honest, Tim leaving was always going to leave a hole that was going to be very hard to fill.