1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Overclocking Have I Destroyed My Motherboard/CPU?

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by Promethus, 29 Oct 2011.

1. Promethus

Promethus What's a Dremel?

Just a quick check/second opinion; have I completely broken my computer.

The basic problem is that it will not boot, or even turn on.

Spec
    CPU - AMD Phenom II X4 950 I think
    MB - MSI 790FX-GD70
    GPU - XFX 9800GX2
    RAM - 8GB Corsair
    PSU – Corsair HX1000

Background
    The computer was up and running and I was overclocking it (pushing it quite hard). Set my settings, rebooted to windows, and started stressing it, then BSOD, waited for it to reboot, but although the fans were running, nothing else happened. So I turned it off manually and back on, and then nothing was running, not even the fans.

Fixes I have tried
    Tried re-setting the CMOS (via the button on the motherboard), tried one stick of RAM, tried disconnecting everything but the essentials, still no joy. Tried disconnecting the 8 pin CPU power supply, this caused the fans to start spinning, but nothing booted. Re-connected the 8 pin CPU power supply, and again noting starts. Everything seems to be attached correctly, and nothing appears damaged.

So have I destroyed my motherboard and CPU, or have I missed something?

2. aLtikal

aLtikal 1338-One step infront of the pro's

Sounds like the BIOS hasn't been reset properly.

If there are jumper pins elsewhere on the board use something to bridge them while the PC is turned off.

If there arn't - then turn PC off (back of PSU aswell) and remove the BIOS battery for 20mins. (REMEMBER THE POLARITY BEFORE YOU REMOVE IT)

I know you say you've used the reset BIOS button but something tells me its not doing it right. Atleast doing this you can 100% rule out you just have old settings that arnt allowing the computer to boot.

3. Promethus

Thanks for the reply.

I have just tried both and still no joy.

I have been wondering if the BIOS it's self has become corrupt somehow, which is preventing the computer from booting or re-setting the BIOS to is factory standards. Is this possible?

4. aLtikal

aLtikal 1338-One step infront of the pro's

Hmmm I'm not sure what else to suggest really...only way to rule it out would be to try a friends motherboard with your CPU and vice versa.

Gdluck!

5. Cerberus90

Cerberus90 Car Spannerer

I would leave it overnight and see what happens.

I've found that sometimes they just need some time to cool off and think about their feeling, :D.

Unlikely to be the PSU, but it could be, not quite sure how to test it other than putting it in another machine.
    Have you tried another HDD?

6. dark_avenger

dark_avenger Minimodder

Leave the battery out and the power disconnected that should reset the BIOS.

If not check the MSI web site sometimes there are BIOS recovery options from USB/Floppy if it's corrupt.

7. Promethus

Sorry about the lateness of my reply, I have been at work all week.

Unfortunately none of my friends have a computer, which I can use to test the components, and my other system is Intel based.

I have already tried leaving it for several days, with no change. I would not of thought that the hard drive would not of made any difference, but I will give another one a try. Again I would not of thought it would be the PSU, as when I disconnected the 8 pin CPU supply the fans started spinning.

I've already tried removing the battery and disconnecting the power, but it did not work.

Thanks dark_avenger for the BIOS recovery option suggestion; now for the hard bit, finding a floppy disk drive.

8. dark_avenger

dark_avenger Minimodder

Yeah not easy to come by any more, I know on my Acer Aspire laptop it has a USB recovery so hopefully your board will as well.

9. Omnituens

Omnituens What's a Dremel?

Is there any sign of swelling on the caps around the mobo?

What happens if the graphics card is removed and the unit powered up?

10. towelie

towelie How do I Internet!!

Unfortunalty it one of those times where you need a 2nd of everything to try to find the faulty component. From the sounds of things its the CPU does the board have power lights etc.I never tried booting without a CPU in place(for obv reasons).Have you had a look at the chip for any visuable damage if any.

11. rollo

rollo Modder

depends what you class as quiet hard 1.5v + then theres always the chance you have killed the cpu

id check the board for burn dmg but without 2 of everything theres no way to test this all

bios recovery is a tough one as you would not be able to access the usb or floppy anyway on most boards they dont power up before the system posts and if the usb has no power it would not even be reconised.

12. Promethus

Well I striped the motherboard completely down, (removed cpu, heatsinks, basically everything that would come off) and I could still not find any damage. I do believe that I have narrowed it down to either the 8-pin cpu power socket on the motherboard, or the 8-pin cpu power lead from the psu. When I remove the 8-pin cpu power lead and boot the computer up, the fans start and the LEDs on the motherboard light up, I do get an error code FF, which translates as no power to the CPU.

@rollo - Yes I was using well over 1.5V, temperatures were still cool, and I was trying to see just how far I could push the OC. Also as you suspected the BIOS recovery did not make any difference, if it did anything at all when I booted it without the 8-pin cpu power.

13. Promethus

Update:

I have bought a PSU tester, and it seems that the PSU is fine, or at least as far as I can tell.

So what now. Well the motherboard is out of warranty, and I am wondering if baking it will solve the problem.

Just a few questions:

Ideal temperature? I have been thinking 200C, or just under from what I have read.
    How long for? Again from reading, arround 7min 30sec to 8min.
    Which side up? CPU socket facing up, or down, this one has rearly got me stuck; any suggestions?

14. r4tch3t

r4tch3t hmmmm....

If you are going to bake it I would suggest finding a proper guide. Make sure it is raised, using the mobo standoffs may work, temperature wise 200 is about right. As to the orientation, it wont matter too much but I would have to components facing up in case anything decides to escape when the solder is melted.

From what I can tell with the 8 pin plug causing/alleviating the issue it could either be the motherboard power circuitry or the CPU itself having bad connections. Have a look at the chips under the heatsinks (which you would most likely have to remove anyway) to see if there is any damage to them. I had an old socket A motherboard that blew a MOSFET tiny little bit of charring around the leads.

15. Promethus

Thanks for the link.

I have already removed the heatsinks, and could see no damage, but I will have another good look, before I bake the motherboard.

16. r4tch3t

r4tch3t hmmmm....

Make sure you take pics, take lots so that you will have the right couple of pictures. Plus if it works then you can turn it into a guide.

17. Promethus

Ok, so I tried sticking my broken motherboard in the oven today. I got everything set up, pre-heated the oven and popped the motherboard in. As the motherboard was heated up, I checked it at 2 minutes, everything looked fine, at 4 minutes, everything still looked fine, checked again at 6 minutes and there was a slight problem. The plastic components had started to melt. I immediately pulled the motherboard out, but it was evident that the damage had already been done.

So here is the damage report:
    • The plastic parts on the back panel have started to melt.
    • The white fan sockets and white writing has turned brown.
    • The PCI Express locking brackets have started to melt.
    • The PCI slots have melted.
    • The CMOS battery port has melted.
    • The on-board buttons and OC dial have melted.
    • The SATA and IDE ports have started to melt.
    • One of the capacitors appears to of popped.
    • The RAM clips no longer close properly.
    • The whole motherboard has bowed slightly.
    • Some of the solder has melted off of the motherboard.

So points to remember:
    • Support the motherboard at more than just the four corners.
    • Only have the motherboard in the oven for a maximum of 4 minutes.

Here is a photo of the motherboard after it had been in the oven, for you to laugh look at:

[​IMG]

18. r4tch3t

r4tch3t hmmmm....

Have you tested it :lol:

19. Promethus

I don't think that there is much point in trying. The photo I took with my crap iPhone does not really do the damage justice. When you have it in you hands, it looks trashed.

20. Diellur

Diellur What's a Dremel?

Not that far... ;) It's not as simple as a direct link between voltage and heat. Excessive voltages can damage the CPU even if temps are kept within norms, although it can take time for the damage to occur.

You probably cooked something on the motherboard. I'd say it's more likely that the motherboard was knackered (capacitor blew or something like that), so the CPU is probably still OK.