1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hardware Nvidia G-Sync monitor up for pre-order

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Meanmotion, 16 Dec 2013.

1. Meanmotion

Meanmotion bleh Moderator

2. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

That sounds like its going to be popular :eeek:

3. Maki role

Maki role Dale you're on a roll... Lover of bit-tech

Well it shouldn't become more expensive at least... right? Might be a nice feature for upcoming 4k panels actually, considering I would expect consistently dipping framerates on demanding games, even with top-notch systems. And at that level, the extra £160 or something would be very palatable for a genuinely better experience.

4. r3loaded

r3loaded Minimodder

Eh, it's still very early days. Apparently most of that cost is because Nvidia have used an FPGA for the first G-Sync board to get it out onto the market. The price will drop drastically once they fab an ASIC for it.

I think G-Sync should be ideally suited for 4K monitors - not only does their high price make them suitable for swallowing the cost, the fact that you only need to pack enough hardware to reach 30-40fps rather than 60fps for a smooth image means 4K gaming will becoming a far more realistic proposition.

5. DC74

DC74 Doh!

Guess only those with deep pockets will be buying them then, well until the manufacturers get sick of all that stock not selling and decide to drop prices a bit. I would say they should cost no more than £50-75 more than the standard monitor in order to take off.

This price is a bit scary to say the least, if they want it to catch on and become widespread they need to start surveying people and I don't mean the usual Nvidia fan boys and asking them what they think is a fair price. God I wished there was a 3rd competitor in the GPU industry instead of the current one horse and a lame donkey race we have at present.

6. Panos

Panos Minimodder

7. wolfticket

wolfticket Downwind from the bloodhounds

So Nvidia have created a device that reduces the requirement for powerful graphics hardware... Did they think this through? :)

8. edzieba

edzieba Virtual Realist

G-sync's benefits are actually in the lower refresh rates, where performance can vary wildly between 30fps (where G-sync begins frame-doubling) and 60fps. While normally this delay variance would exhibit as stutter and/or tearing (depending on buffering setup used), G-sync will just push complete frames as and when they're rendered.

9. theshadow2001

theshadow2001 [DELETE] means [DELETE]

G-Sync on a massive 4k IPS screen

[​IMG]

10. ZERO <ibis>

ZERO <ibis> Minimodder

Still making their way closer to a CRT, if only we could still buy CRTs we would not have all these problems...

11. jb0

jb0 Minimodder

While I do still love CRT, CRTs also operated on a fixed refresh rate at any given time.

While they DID have multisync monitors, you couldn't adjust the refresh on a per-frame basis because the beam waits for no man. If you miss VSync, you can't just say "hold that frame for a few beats, I'm not ready yet." You have to put SOMETHING up.

In this case, they're actually removing a restriction that only exists BECAUSE of CRTs, not working around a restriction that didn't exist on CRTs.

12. dyzophoria

dyzophoria Minimodder

unless it is open for others (cough AMD), I don;t think i'd care for a monitor that supports g-sync

Tags: Add Tags