1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Its getting cold out there

Discussion in 'bit-tech Folding Team' started by Scorpuk, 20 Nov 2013.

1. Scorpuk

Scorpuk Minimodder

Woke up this morning and checked my server temps, as you do. :rolleyes:

This was it while sending / receiving a workunit:

From phpsyinfo:
    [​IMG]

From BitFenix Recon Unit (Running Phoebetria on Ubuntu):
    [​IMG]
    Amb-Hi is a probe above the server
    Amb-Low is a probe under the desk the server is sitting on. :)
    CPU temps are probes sitting on edge of cpu and water block.

TPC Report:
    [​IMG]

Temps back up now that its processing a work unit:
    [​IMG]

At least the coolant has a freezing point of -8°C, well thats what it said on the tin. :lol:
    (Mayhem Pastel Red)

2. TaRkA DaHl

TaRkA DaHl Modder

You running things in a shed or the garage? Long as you aren't turning it off it should stay ok!

I'm currently buying a 7970 with the plans of OCing the nuts off it and running it all winter to warm the house.

3. Scorpuk

Scorpuk Minimodder

Hehe, yeah its in the shed; bolted to the floor for security. Was interesting drilling into the case bottom to fit the bolts. :dremel:

I certainly dont have any plans to stop it. I think the only concern is if it sends / receives a wu in the middle of the night if its below -10°C.

The decision to move it outside was when the temperature of the room it was in was hitting 30°C and the battery backup on the raid card was failing due to temps well above 50°C. :eyebrow:

You will find it very toasty with the 7970. I have 2 in my gaming rig, at stock speeds, and its running 24/7, so no need for a radiator to be on in that room. Must be 22°C+ in there. :thumb:

Shame they aint reference cards. Damn XFX! Cant use a full cover water block. :duh:

4. Petaflops

Petaflops Minimodder

You want to invest in a 7990 which are currently pretty cheap on the Scan site. I am currently experimenting with them and getting wicked PPD from them. A single card with the 2 GPU's on it was giving a PPD of 240,000 and I'm currently running an overclocked pair and getting 460,000 PPD from this one machine. :jawdrop: Pretty incredible work rates, and it will keep your house warm to boot!

5. Petaflops

Petaflops Minimodder

Of course what I haven't done yet is to stick an electricity monitor on the machine yet. I think I may be in for a shock. And it is like being in a wind tunnel with the noise!

6. TaRkA DaHl

TaRkA DaHl Modder

Would love to but I cannot justify the funds :/ Cash is quite tight for me, was outta work for 4 months following spinal surgery because some ****** drove into me.

If anyone wants to send one my way for the price of a 7970 I will happily go crazy with it :)

7. Petaflops

Petaflops Minimodder

I have just purchased my once every 5 years PC and so I thought that I'd go for a monster one to last me a good while. I just keep changing my mind about the graphics cards and selling the old ones on Ebay where stuff reaches silly prices. I can sell them for more than I buy them for from Scan. Some people really don't shop around!

Sorry to hear of your woes though. Hope you are on the mend now. It sounds fairly serious having surgery on your spine. That must have been some smash!